Spike Imagine - Funfair

set in s6 ig

My hand brushes gently against Spike's as we walk to the funfair. He catches my hand and holds it tight. It feels warm, which is unusual, but it must be from his hot tea that we brought from a stall. Daylight robbery, he'd complained, although it's a dark November evening and funfairs are never cheap. Even so, he splashed out on cream, sprinkles and marshmallows for my hot chocolate when I asked for a plain. 

It tastes heavenly.

"Try some."

"I'm good."

"Come on. It may be the best thing I've ever had in my mouth."

He raises an eyebrow and I can tell there's a joke on the tip of his tongue, but he lets me tilt the paper cup to his lips. He hums in approval. "That is nice." 

The town has been transformed by the games, stalls, rides, glowing strung up lights and the delicious smell of donuts. The last time I went to a funfair like this, I must have been in primary school, back in England. I wonder if Spike's ever been to one.

"Is there anything you want to go on?"

Spike looks a little surprised by my question. He thinks for a second. "Maybe the Ferris wheel. It's a classic, right?"

"Yeah. That'll be nice." 

I finish my drink (sadly) and shove it in a too-full bin. Spike does the same.

 "I want to beat you at a game first." Spike says playfully, leading the way to the line of games. I wasn't sure he would like the fair, but he seems happy, which makes me happy. "You can choose."

"I don't mind." I say honestly. I'm never any good at these games and I swear most of them are rigged anyway.

"It'll give you more of a chance if you choose." he teases, but I accept the challenge and choose another classic, the coconut shy.

And annoyingly, Spike does beat me. I miss with all three of my balls and Spike knocks down three coconuts in a row. I can't be too butt-hurt though, because that equates to one of the giant teddy bears. He accepts it proudly off the miffed stall-worker, an older guy with a thick moustache, and immediately offers it to me.

I can barely hold the thing, it's so ridiculously big, which Spike finds hilarious. He doesn't hear me (or more likely ignores me) when I tell him to stop sniggering. I thrust it back into his arms and he takes it without another word. I thought he may be embarrassed carrying it around, but he looks smug. 

As we make our way over to the Ferris wheel, Spike bumps into someone because the impractical yet adorable bear is impairing his vision.

"I'm so sorry." I start to apologise before I recognise who it is. "Oh, hey, Will!"

"Hey!" she smiles and points to the bear, "Which game did you win?"

"Coconut shy."

"Well," Spike corrects, "I won."

"Oh, we missed that one. " Tara tells us, frowning a little at Willow. Willow turns to her, fondly adjusting the tartan scarf around her girlfriend's neck.

She explains, "We're heading back now in time for Charmed. We can take the bear off your hands if you want. You can pick it up tomorrow."

I look at Spike and he somewhat reluctantly nods, passing the bear over to Willow. I pat Spike on the shoulder and say to Willow, "Take good care of it, yeah? For his sake."

He grabs my hand, using it to pull me closer so he can snake his arm around my waist. 

"Enjoy Charmed." Spike says.