One: Aching

**

Monday, 1st July, 1996

It's never until I'm back at home that I remember how much I miss Muggle electricity. Between flicking through the television channels, watching VHS tapes, and wondering whether it was too soon to send Draco an owl, time seemed to be going by pretty slowly.

The school my mum works for doesn't break up for their summer break until the end of July, and my dad works a lot during the day. He usually works two weeks of day shifts, then have a week off, and go on to work two weeks of night shifts. So, I've spent a lot of my time on my own, which only gave me more of an excuse to think of Draco.

I was watching a VHS of Disney's Pocahontas and eating a packet of crisps when I suddenly heard a tap at the window of our townhouse. I realised it was the beak of owl. My heart fluttered at the prospect of it being from Draco. I couldn't remember what sort of owl that the Malfoy family owned.

Gently opening the sash window, I took the letter from the eagle owl, and gave him a pet behind the ears. I squealed in delight as I recognised the slanted, small, but incredibly neat handwriting.

Dear Madeline,

How have you been? I hope you're well. Father is already away on business. Something in Albania – I don't know what he's there for. What did you do over the weekend?

I'm being dragged to the Zabini's manor for dinner this evening. His mother is an irritating drunk, and she does enjoy a bottle of wine... or two... or six. Merlin, do I wish I were with you instead.

Write back to me soon.

Yours, Draco.

I must have read and reread his owl about twenty times. It was simple and short, but it just proved that he must have been thinking of me as well.

**

Monday, 8th July, 1996

The first week flew by pretty uneventfully, but that only meant I was one week closer to being reunited with Draco. I felt bad for thinking like it, as these next few weeks were the only time I got to spend with my parents for the majority of the year. But that didn't stop me longing to be with him again.

This week started the beginning of my dad's week off before his two-week stint of night shifts, so at least that meant I wasn't going to on my own as much.

We were sitting on the sofa together watching the TV, as the weather outside was bleak, grey, and drizzly, in true British summer fashion. I didn't mind too much, however.

I was due to meet Hannah in a couple of days, so I had that to look forward to as well. But every day, I found myself looking forward to that eagle owl tapping on the glass of our living room window. I had to refrain to writing to Draco multiple times a day. I knew he said it was okay to, but I didn't want to come across as a psycho.

It was as though the universe was listening to me, because at 3:00 that afternoon, the Malfoy owl tapped his beak on the windowpane. My stomach flipped as I went to retrieve the letter from him.

Dear Madeline,

Father is back from Albania now, and he looks as tired as ever. How are you finding being at your house? I, for one, cannot wait to be back at Hogwarts. I never thought I would feel like that.

All I can think about is when I can see you again. You are the only thing on my mind. That might be one-sided, but fuck, I hope not. I don't know what you've done to me, Madeline.