Three: Knockturn Alley

A/N: Poor Madeline is already experiencing her first trauma. It involves being taken/potential kidnapping, and predatory behaviour, so please read with caution in case you're sensitive to that.

**

Saturday, 24th August, 1996

I was pleasantly surprised when I received a letter on Friday afternoon from a great grey owl, so I knew it wasn't from Draco. I knew it also wasn't one of the Ministry regulated owls, because my dad would have said so. I didn't get to see what a Ministry of Magic owl looked like when they delivered my Hogwarts letter.

I had been invited by Ginny to go and see her at the Burrow. I remembered Ron saying something about it, but I wasn't sure if Ginny really meant it. My dad was going to be taking me by Floo Powder at 11:00am this morning. He and Mr. Weasley will then be going together for some kind of meeting with the Order at Grimmauld Place.

When I arrived at the Burrow, I was immediately greeted by Mrs. Weasley carrying a tray of tea and biscuits. After exchanging some small talk, Mr. Weasley and my dad went to Twelve Grimmauld Place. Ginny and I then went up to her bedroom.

I was worried about seeing George again after what happened last year, after he apologised when he tried to kiss me at the Slytherin party and fought with Draco. Ginny assured me he and Fred will be out until late at night.

Ron, Harry, and Hermione were up in Ron's bedroom, so we stopped to say hello before up to the top floor. I could see they were reading the Daily Prophet article about Draco. They at least looked at it recently, as it was face up on the wooden floorboards in the centre of the three.

I tried to avert my eyes from it, but knowing they were reading about Mr. Malfoy, and Draco's family business gave me an odd twist in my stomach.

Ginny and I mainly just sat in her bedroom and spoke. Her bedroom was filled with warm hues of copper, burgundy, and deep brown. It was comforting, inviting and exactly how I imagined it.

I excitedly told Ginny that I was a Prefect next year, and Ginny said that Hermione and Ron were going to be Prefects too.

She confided in me that her and Dean had broken up, but she wasn't going to pursue anything with Harry just yet. We then had a long talk about relationships and love. I came close to telling her about Draco as well, but I decided against it last minute.

After a spot of lunch with everyone, we played a few games of friendly Quidditch in the back garden of the Burrow. Me and Hermione were on a team together. Ron, Ginny, and Harry were on the other team. Hermione pointed out that it wasn't fair, putting the two people who weren't into Quidditch together. But we had a nice time regardless.

My dad and Mr. Weasley arrived back at the Burrow at around 5:00pm. I kept hearing dad and Mr. Weasley whispering things about Sirius Black to Mrs. Weasley. I could tell everyone in that kitchen knew something I didn't, as Ginny, Hermione, Ron, and Harry were giving each other knowing looks.

We all said our goodbyes and I tried to ignore what that exchange was about. Maybe it was just my paranoia running away with me.

I got home to mum telling me there's a piece of owl mail sitting on my pillow, and it felt like there was something in there. The envelope was thick and jutting out, it felt like a box of some sort. So, I hurriedly ran upstairs to read my letter. My heart leapt at what it was Draco could have sent.

Dear Madeline,

I've spent the entire summer trying to find something I thought you'd like. I figured at least this way you could have something of mine, without it being obvious. If you don't like it, then just throw it away. I'd never seen you in gold, so I thought you were more a silver person.