Fifty-Three: Emerging

A/N: There is an instance of sexual harassment and a semi-graphic threat of violence in this chapter.

**

Saturday, 18th January, 1997

All of us Hufflepuff girls were sat up on our beds, cross legged, blurry eyed, and trying to muster the energy to get ready for the day ahead. It was still dark in our dorm room, and it was absolutely freezing.

The first week back after Christmas was always easy-going and simple, and this year was no exception. Nothing much had happened, except for the fact I was free to walk to class with Draco hand-in-hand, and we didn't have to hide a single thing.

As for Prefect duty, Patrick and Olivia decided to stick with the same rota as it was throughout December, as there wasn't long of January left. So, that meant I got out of doing Prefect duty for another month, which I didn't mind too much.

On the Tuesday, I arranged for the house elves in the kitchens to prepare Daphne a birthday cake, which she loved. I loved not having to be secretive about it either. She only asked for a simple Victoria sandwich cake, but all the Slytherins, Daphne especially, were overjoyed by it.

"What's everyone's plans for today?" Leanne asked, stretching out,

"I'm going into Hogsmeade with Draco," I smiled proudly,

"Maddie, are you being serious?" Hannah groaned,

"Of course, I'm being serious," I chuckled, a little confused,

"Well, I would have thought that after spending all that time with Malfoy over Christmas you'd want a bit of space. As much as I love Seamus, I need a break from him for a while," Hannah exhaled a breath of air out of her nose,

"I don't know, I guess I just want to be around him all the time," I shrugged my shoulders, feeling slightly embarrassed,

"Don't you get bored of being with him though?" Hannah asked curiously,

"Never ever. We lost so much time together in the beginning, especially over those few weeks in December, I am happy to cling on to as much of him as I can," I told them all honestly,

"Oh, shit, I'm so sorry, Mads. I never meant to make you feel bad, I suppose it's kind of sweet actually. You and Malfoy in love is weirdly a lovely thing to see," Hannah replied instantly,

"No, it's okay, I know you didn't. If he loves me just half as much as I love him, then I am a very lucky girl," I beamed as my chest began to flutter.

**

After getting ready for the day, I met up with Draco and we sat together on the Slytherin table for breakfast. Sitting together in front of everyone was still something I had to adjust to, but I absolutely loved it.

No one seemed to care, and if they did, they hid it well. It was as though I was in some sort of alternate reality, the one I had dreamt of so many times.

Could it have really been like this the entire time? It all seemed so silly now. Of course, I respected Draco's feelings and his worry's, but we were so scared of something, and the reality couldn't have been more different than what we thought.

I mean, the fallout of the truth coming out about us being in a secret relationship was brutal and the hardest thing I had ever gone through, but the more time went on, and the more I thought about it, I think it was more the shock. How Seamus exposed Draco and I came out of nowhere, and his actions were beyond cruel.

Just as I predicted, however, that was all just an old piece of gossip. I was sure people still spoke of it, and I couldn't say I entirely blamed them.

The way I felt during that time was indescribable and intense. If I were to have an enemy, I wouldn't even wish for them to have gone through what I did. I never knew a loneliness that deep and excruciating existed, and I hope I never have to feel it again.