Nine: Solace

A/N: I know the Millennium Bridge wasn't in use until like the year 2000, but it was the bridge that was used in the Half-blood Prince film, so I just decided to use that for ease of writing, instead of Brockdale Bridge like in the book!

**

Friday, 27th September, 1996

Thankfully, I was now starting to feel much better than I had been. I wasn't sure if it was just a coincidence from being with Draco, or whether my body was genuinely beginning to adjust to the Contraceptive Concoction. Either way, I was taking full advantage of it and simply accepting it.

We were all sat in the Great Hall waiting for breakfast to be conjured. Sitting in between Megan and Justin, and opposite Hannah, we were all talking about the upcoming festive season, as it'll be Halloween in just over a month's time.

The postage owls then came swooping in mid-conversation and even though I hadn't received anything, I saw the big smile on Hannah's face because she'd got a letter from her parents, and that was enough for me.

**

I was pouring myself a cup of tea when I noticed the concerning looks Hannah and Megan were exchanging, as they were both reading through that morning's copy of the Daily Prophet. I glanced around and saw everyone who was reading the newspaper had a similar look on their face.

"Hannah, is everything okay?" I asked cautiously,

"Mads... you live near the Millennium Bridge, right?" Hannah replied, even though she could barely look at me,

"I suppose, yeah. My mum walks across it every day to carpool with her colleague to work... my dad uses it all the time. What about it?" I swallowed deeply, everyone now looking at me, "What is it, Han?"

"I am so sorry, Maddie. Just- take a look at this," Hannah cleared her throat, shakily passing me the Daily Prophet.

My eyes skimmed over the slightly beige parchment, first landing on the massive magical photograph of the bridge in London. It was pure chaos, thick, black smoke, and bright orange flames. The supporting beams and cables were completely snapped off. My heart dropped as I looked at the terrified and confused Muggles just going about their day.

I had walked across that bridge so many times, I'd never given it a second thought before. My blood was running colder, I felt nauseous, and I hadn't even read through the article yet.

"BRIDGE COLLAPSE: DEATH TOLL RISES."

I couldn't even read the words properly because my eyes were filled with tears. After a quick glance-through, I read that it's thought to be the work of Death Eaters, and they tore the bridge down as they were making their way to Diagon Alley.

Apparently, during their rampage of London, the masked and unknown Death Eaters had also destroyed most of the shops in the magical alley. Including, but not limited to, Ollivanders, Madam Malkins, Flourish and Blotts, Quality Quidditch Supplies, and Eeylops Owl Emporium.

The Minister for Magic, Cornelius Fudge, who was rumoured to be leaving the post soon, promised that he will be doing everything he could to get Diagon Alley back to proper standards, and he'll do everything in his power to catch those responsible.

"No, no... this can't be happening," I muttered through heavy breath.

I threw the Daily Prophet down and gripped onto my hair, holding my temples. I was shaking, almost rocking with pure anxiety. All I could think about was my mum and dad, and whether they were affected at all.