Thirty-Six: Winter Ball

**

Thursday, 19th December, 1996

I had woken up in a lot less physical pain which I was very happy about. I had even managed to eat a round of buttered toast. The bad thing about today though was that Madam Pomfrey had banned all visitors, so that meant I couldn't see Draco. That's if he was going to visit me at all, that was.

Preparations had already begun on the Ball happening later on this evening, and I overheard Professor McGonagall say to Madam Pomfrey that the last two lessons of the day had been cancelled in order to get everything ready.

I should have been getting excited with my friends, discussing our plans for the night, talking about our dresses, how we were going to style our hair, do our make-up, and the potential of what could happen with our dates. But instead, I was stuck in this bed, unable to move much, and dosed up on Healing potions.

Although, I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do less than go to the dance later on. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want Draco to be sat by my side for the entire evening, however.

The door to the Hospital Wing creaked open, which made Madam Pomfrey's head snap over to it. She was looking more stressed today than I think I ever had before.

She huffed loudly and the pile of parchment she was holding she was holding got slammed down onto her desk. She strode over to the door, clearly irritated, but my stomach rolled as I saw it was in fact Draco.

"Not today, Mr. Malfoy," Madam Pomfrey said in a very short tone, "Out,"

"Why can't I just sit with her?" Draco scoffed, looking over at me,

"Because I have explicitly said no visitors today," Madam Pomfrey berated him, "Sorry, Miss. Parsons," she added, turning back to me for a quick moment,

I pulled my lips in a small line, not knowing what else to do.

"I will literally be sat in that chair, what's the harm in that?!" Draco argued.

Although Draco was quite a bit taller than the MediWitch, she held herself in such a strong way, it was easy to feel threatened by Madam Pomfrey.

"I have got to sort out my supplies, check my stock of potions, and get everything ready for the Christmas Break, so I don't want any unnecessary distractions. Will you please leave Mr. Malfoy?" Madam Pomfrey insisted, gesturing out into the hallway,

Reluctantly, Draco left the Hospital Wing without another word. He did shoot me an apologetic look, as though he was saying, "I'll come back for you."

**

I declined having anything substantial for lunch and instead chose to have a big slice of Bakewell tart, and the sugar definitely hit some sort of spot, because I was in a much better mood.

After just taking my doses of various Healing potions, the pain in my chest, and the rest of my body, was slowly starting to melt away.

Madam Pomfrey was still trying to work out which of the boy's spells actually hit me and caused this to happen. It was puzzling her greatly, which she admitted to me was a rare occurrence.

I wasn't sure what the time was but judging by the darkness of the skies out of the window, I guessed it was around dinner time. The door slowly opened, and Madam Pomfrey was slowly getting less irritated as the day went on.

I sat up a little straighter as I saw it was Hannah. She was one of the last people I was expecting to walk through the Hospital Wing because I thought she would be starting to get ready for tonight, maybe starting on her make-up.