Twenty: Madam Puddifoots

**

Sunday, 10th November, 1996

"Please don't hate me, Maddie," Hannah said out of the blue.

I glanced up from my copy of Witch Weekly and cocked my head. Hannah gingerly sat down next to me and put the magazine onto the coffee table in front of us.

It had been one of those perfect Sunday's so far. It was relaxing, quiet, and slow. We had just been in the common room, lounging around, talking about nothing, playing games together, drinking copious amounts of tea, and enjoying the time off. The only other thing that would have made it even better was Draco being here with me.

"Why would I hate you, Hannah?" I asked curiously,

"I've sort of done something, and I don't want you to be mad at me. I promise it was a spur of the moment thing the other day and I've been so scared to tell you because I don't know how you're going to react," Hannah swallowed deeply,

"What have you done?" I asked, my head cocking slightly, and my brows knitted,

"I've set you up on a date-"

"No! Are you serious?!" I interrupted Hannah, a blaze of fire suddenly hitting me,

"He's already on his way there, he's there early because he needed to do something in Hogsmeade beforehand. I said you'll be there at around 3:00-"

"I am not going on a date, Hannah. What the fuck?" I hollered, "I have a prior engagement,"

Hannah looked at me taken aback. I very rarely swore like that, so it must have been a shock for her.

"It's only one date. What's the worst that could happen? Please, Maddie, he's really looking forward to it," Hannah urged, trying to sound as polite as possible.

You have no idea what you've done to me, Hannah. The worst is that Draco is going to hate me and never want to see me again.

"I'm meeting Draco this afternoon; I can't just not show up. Oh, Hannah, why have you done this? I never thought you were being serious," I huffed, my stomach dropping at the thought,

"I'm really sorry, Mads. I knew you'd be upset with me. Can't you just explain to Malfoy that you'll have to cancel today's study session?" Hannah said, here looking disappointed but her tone full of remorse,

"Who's it with at least?" I took a deep breath, not wanting to sound rude.

I had little-to-no hope that it was going to be with Draco, but I still wanted Hannah to say his name more than anything.

"It's a secret. Me and Megan will help you get ready, won't we, Meg?" Hannah looked over to Megan, who was cuddled up with Ernie,

"Uh- sure, I'll even let you borrow one of my dresses, if you'd like, Maddie," Megan said, smiling at me,

"Fine," I exhaled a sharp breath, "I suppose one date can't be too bad," I added, fully lying to their faces.

Megan kissed Ernie and all three of us made our way up the stairs to our dorm. A part of me was relieved that Susan and Leanne were both out, and I wasn't sure why.

**

The last way I wanted, or expected, to spend my Sunday afternoon was going on a date with someone who wasn't Draco. My stomach lurched at the thought of having to tell Draco about this.

I had to admit, I thought I looked semi-decent. The dress I borrowed from Megan was lilac with a ditsy floral pattern covering it, fabric decorative buttons down the bodice, the hem ended just above my knee, and sheer, short, puffy sleeves.