Fifty-One: Devotion

**

Friday, 10th January, 1997

Being without Draco was slowly getting easier. We only had one more weekend left of Christmas break, so I knew it wouldn't be too much longer before he came back. Plus, writing to each other multiple times a day made it go a little quicker.

The days since returning had all sort of rolled into one. It was the same routine, doing the same things, at the same time. I had to make a conscious effort not to spend every waking moment thinking of Draco.

I thought he entered my thoughts enough pre-relationship, but now I knew I was sort of allowed to feel and think these things, my brain was in a Draco-shaped overdrive.

It felt like my head was 99% Draco and all thing related to him, and everything and everyone else in my life was squeezed into that tiny 1% that was leftover. Maybe once our relationship was more established and not as new, my thoughts of him will dwindle down and not be as often or persistent.

I was eating some raspberry jam on wholemeal toast with a cup of tea, sitting in between the third year Slytherin, a boy called Jasper, and the second year Hufflepuff, Daisy.

Young Daisy had latched on to me slightly, presumably, because I was one of her Prefects and the only person in the castle in the same house as her. I didn't mind too much, however.

Everyone around me was talking amongst themselves, and I was quite happy just craning my head from left-to-right, not really involving myself too much in what they saying, because I only ever wanted to talk about Draco anyway.

I was wearing the new perfume Draco brought me for Christmas and I kept putting my sleeve up to my nose every few seconds, because it just smelled perfect. It was as though he just knew the kind of scent I was gravitate towards.

I was half-tempted to wear the bottle of cologne he had brought me so I could have him with me in a way, but I decided to keep that for just my pyjamas at night time.

**

Daisy, the Hufflepuff girl, and I were gossiping about the new Beater for the professional team, the Falmouth Falcons, because he was rather attractive. They were currently bottom of the leaderboard, and they were hoping the young and new Beater, Tate Billings, would help them win more matches.

We were getting weird looks off the seventh year Gryffindor, a boy called Sam, who commented snidely that Quidditch players shouldn't be based off their looks, but rather their talent.

I was fiddling with the Draco constellation pendant on my necklace, listening to Daisy babble on about Tate, because it was quite sweet to hear her giggle and talk about him in such an innocent way.

I didn't even hear the doors open to the Great Hall when Daisy suddenly nudged me with her elbow. I was taken out of my thoughts when I felt the contact.

"Maddie, look who's just walked through," Daisy said to me whilst looking over at the Great Hall entrance with her mouth wide open.

My lips formed into a huge grin and my heart leapt into my throat. I instantly swung my legs around and more or less ran to the end of the Great Hall. I felt bad for leaving Daisy so abruptly, but I'm sure she understood.

He was stood there, looking lost and defeated, but as soon as he saw me, he changed in an instant.

Draco was really back here. In the flesh. Looking more handsome than any other Quidditch player or any other person in existence ever could.

It seemed to take forever to finally reach him, but when I did, I threw my arms around his waist and nestled my face in his chest. I didn't even care that everyone was almost certainly watching us.