Forty: Christmas Eve

**

Tuesday, 24th December, 1996

"Are you okay, baby? You're very quiet today," Draco asked, putting his journal and quill down,

"Yeah, I'm just thinking of my parent's. It's Christmas Eve, and we go to this thing, like a tradition we do every year. It's stupid," I shrugged my shoulders,

"Tell me, if I can make you smile, I want to," Draco wrapped his arms around me,

"Every year, on Christmas Eve, we go to this little market. It's near Covent Garden in London. As I say, it's stupid," I said, trying to ignore the way my cheeks were burning,

"We could go for a little while if you wanted-"

"Draco, it's a Muggle thing. You wouldn't want to go there, trust me," I replied instantly,

"No, maybe not. But I would do it for you, sweetheart. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you," Draco said, and there was nothing but honesty in his tone,

"Are you sure? We don't have to-"

Draco stopped me talking by pressing his lips on mine gently. I giggled and placed my hand on the base of his neck, kissing him back harder.

"Just tell me when and where, and we'll Floo there, okay?" Draco said decidedly,

"We usually drive there in the late afternoon, around 4:00pm, and we'll have dinner there. We'd drive back at around 8:00pm," I told him,

"Where's the nearest Floo Network connection to this place?" Draco asked,

"There's a small pub about five minutes away, or if we Floo to the Leaky Cauldron, it's about twenty minutes," I said, trying to hide the smile forming on my lips, "If we go to the Leaky Cauldron, we can stop by Diagon Alley so I can withdraw some of my Galleons to exchange into Muggle money,"

"You'll do no such thing," Draco said in a stern way,

"But Draco-"

"But nothing, Madeline," Draco put his finger over my lip, "I don't want you spending your money on me ever, it's my job to spoil you. We'll go to Gringotts, and I'll withdraw my Galleons," he kissed me gently, "No arguing,"

I decided not to press Draco on it any further, knowing how stubborn he could be, especially where money was concerned. He must have realised the differences in our wealth, just as I notice it as well.

It just worried me that he thought that's the only reason I was with him, given what he's told me in the past.

**

The sky was already starting to get inky and dark. Draco and I were getting changed into warmer clothing, after an afternoon of activities wearing no clothes in the parlour... and once more in his bedroom.

I wore a pair of Muggle denims, a black cable-knit jumper, and my black double-breasted coat, with some white trainers and a plain grey bobble hot. Draco looked especially handsome in his all-black casual suit and double-breasted coat. I wanted to say he looked a little dressed up for where we were going, but I liked looking at him too much to be able to say the words.

We definitely didn't look like we belonged together anyway. Draco didn't seem to care. Not that he ever did much, mind you.

Our roles had reversed now. I was the chatty one and Draco was quiet. Once we arrived at the Leaky Cauldron, I said to Draco about going back and forgetting the whole thing, but he was having none of it.

He exchanged 200 Galleons into Muggle money, and we walked the short distance to the Christmas fete that my parents and I always went to. Draco trusted me to lead the way, as this was more my world than his for once.