Ten: Caught

A/N: This is the first time I've ever written something that actually made me cry when writing it, so just be warned, this chapter is very sad and angsty! Draco is really quite toxic and nasty to Madeline in this chapter (with his soft side sneaking in at the end). There is also a short description of a panic attack in this chapter, I just thought I'd mention that as well, in case you're sensitive to that sort of thing.

**

Friday, 4th October, 1996

My chin was rested on the palm of my hand, trying to conceal a yawn, listening to Professor Trelawney talk about Xylomancy. I was beyond relieved that we were finishing up that topic today. Whilst I usually liked Divination as a subject, I found myself getting more bored with it.

Things between me and Draco weren't as good as I was hoping they would be, which probably didn't help. We had another argument the other evening, and a pretty nasty one at that. Tuesday, when I was given my October Prefect duty rota, I knew it would instantly cause issues with Draco, and I hated I was right.

I was to go on patrol on Wednesday and Saturday evenings with Patrick. Draco instantly demanded I go and change it, because he was convinced Patrick had done it on purpose so he could make a move. When I said he was being ridiculous, he had then got it in his head I wanted Patrick.

I never even gave Patrick a second thought. I just saw it as I did with Justin. Spending time with my friend, that was all. But of course, Draco didn't see it like that. He said Patrick was conniving and secretly more of a sly cunt than he was. Draco even went as far to change his own patrol times, so he was on Saturday's as well.

Although we eventually made up and Draco saw sense, things still didn't feel right between us. I couldn't concentrate, I was on the verge of crying all the time, and I had a constant guilt churning around in the pit of my stomach – I was made to feel like I was the worst person in the world.

I just wanted Draco to realise it was only him I ever thought about. If I were braver, I would just say those three words... I would say to him, "I love you."

He hadn't looked up at me once, and he always glanced up at me during Divination. Saying that... ever since Tuesday, Draco had barely looked at me, full stop. He kept making excuses not to see me in the evenings – Quidditch practice, a Prefect meeting, Prefect duty, homework, needing to talk to the Slytherin boys.

"You looking forward to the weekend, Maddie?" Megan asked,

"I suppose. Are you?" I smiled weakly, shrugging my shoulders,

"Are you okay? You sound really sad," Megan rubbed my arm tenderly, her voice filled with concern.

Draco must have heard Megan because his head snapped up to us. My hands were wringing in my lap, my throat had a large lump in it, and I wasn't entirely sure if I was happy that he had finally looked at me.

"I'm okay," I half-lied to her,

"You know you can talk to me," Megan squeezed my hand,

"I know, I'm fine, thank you, Meg. I guess I'm just tired," I forced myself to chuckle, but I could tell by her face she didn't believe me.

Draco seemed to roll his eyes before looking back at Professor Trelawney. I really didn't think that being paired up with Patrick to go on Prefect duty would upset him this much. I was so fed up with feeling sad all the time.

**

Lavender Brown was unfortunately down in the Hospital Wing feeling really poorly, so I was sat in History of Magic all alone. We were finishing our work about Uric the Oddball. Professor Binns was standing up at the front of the classroom, his dull and monotonous voice was enough to make me want to fall asleep.