Thirty-Nine: Incarcerous

A/N: The next fourteen chapters were originally supposed to follow the same layout as the summer holiday chapters. A few days in one, shorter and more condensed, with less detail. However, it didn't really work out that way, as the chapters would be far too long, because one chapter is almost 8,000 words on its own... so I just thought I would mention it. Also, there is a lot of smut over these Christmas holiday chapters, so bear that in mind in case that's not your thing!

**

Monday, 23rd December, 1996

The past couple of days with Draco had been an absolute dream. Even though we hadn't done a lot, getting to spend more or less the entire twenty-four hours in a day with him was the best Christmas present I could have asked for.

Draco was being so attentive of my needs and always made sure I was eating, warm, and taking my Healing potions at the correct time and in the right way.

He said to me that he knew how it felt to be in this house and be left alone with your hunger and no human interaction. He said it so casually that it broke my heart slightly and made me want to look after him just as much in return.

Although, I did feel a little guilty every now and again when I thought of my mum and dad, who were probably missing me and thinking of me nonstop. I had only thought of them a few times since arriving at Malfoy Manor.

"Draco, do you have somewhere I could write to my parents please? Just so I can let them know I'm safe and okay," I asked, hoping to alleviate some of that niggly guilt,

"Of course, come with me, love," Draco replied, taking hold of my hand.

**

Draco walked me down to the library of the manor. He was correct in his letter to me over the summer... this was perhaps my favourite room in the entire building. You could look around for hours, and never be bored.

The deep burgundy, brown, and golden shades were almost a complete contrast to the rest of the house. Whereas everywhere else had a cold yet charming and captivating quality to it, the library was warm and inviting.

"Here you go, baby. The desk there is always stocked with the best ink and finest quality parchment money can buy," Draco said, pulling out the wooden desk chair on wheels.

The parchment was off-white, almost a creamy egg-shell colour, with a faint and translucent emblem of the Malfoy coat of arms printed at the bottom of each sheet. The texture was almost bumpy, but smooth-to-touch like velvet. It was also incredibly thick – I'd imagine it would be difficult to rip a piece in half.

Draco was stood behind me, his presence making it difficult to concentrate. As I dipped the quill into the ink, he kissed my neck and caressed my shoulders soothingly.

Dear mum and dad,

I hope grandma is recovering well. How are you both doing? I bet Ireland is bitterly cold now. I'm just writing to say I miss you and to let you know I'm okay.

I'm spending Christmas at the house of Draco Malfoy. I'm safe here and I know you're worrying about my health, but I am taking good care of myself, I promise you.

Have you got many plans over Christmas? Or are you just having a quiet one in? Tell grandma that I love her, and I wish I could have made it over there. I'm not sure she understands how the Floo Network works.

You can write back to me here if you want to. I love you lots.

Love, Maddie-Bear xxx

I sealed my letter with an emerald wax stamp, that had the same Malfoy motif, and in an envelope of equal quality. Draco took the envelope out of my hands and walked us over to the far-east side, where the Malfoy owl lived.