Sixty-Three: Poisoned

**

Monday, 3rd March, 1997

There was something frightening and strange happening in Hogwarts, and we could all feel it, even if we never said it. The air around us felt different, more strained somehow.

Katie Bell was still very poorly in St. Mungo's, and now Ron Weasley, one of my good friends, was laid up in the Hospital Wing, after being accidentally poisoned. He'd eaten some chocolates that were laced with Amortentia, which were apparently meant to be for Harry.

Professor Slughorn had innocently given the two boys a glass of mead, and Ron was unfortunate enough to be the one who got hurt. I don't quite know the details of it all, and Draco won't talk about it either.

I couldn't help but think the two incidents were connected, but I don't think any other person shared the same thought.

Leanne had been allowed to visit Katie over the weekend, and she told us all that she never once woke up, but the MediWitches and Healers there all think she was able to hear everything around her still, so that was encouraging.

Draco was different as well, he was less talkative, and less touchy-feely. I could barely remember the last time we properly kissed, let alone done anything else. I tried not to take it personally, but that was hard, given that he was constantly having whispered conversations with the Slytherins.

Yes, I knew how incredibly selfish, immature, and ridiculous that sounded, but I've gotten so used to Draco's undivided and complete attention, and now that wasn't the case, it felt like a punch to the stomach.

It happened seemingly overnight as well, we were together one night, and it was so normal, I didn't suspect anything was wrong. Nothing had changed between us. Then the next day, he was just... different.

**

I was sat in Potions with Hannah, and we were supposed to be starting our brew of Dreamless Sleep Potion. My chest felt all heavy and tight as I watched Draco argue with Blaise. It looked like a pretty vicious and nasty dispute as well.

"Maddie! What are you doing?! You're supposed to stir it anti-clockwise; it's turned teal now instead of a dark purple," Hannah huffed, taking the stirrer out of my hand,

"Sorry, Han," I said quietly, still looking over at Draco's bench,

"Why don't you just have it out with him?" Hannah asked, her tone much kinder now,

"He won't talk to me, he just changes the subject, even if he sees me at all. Do you think I should ask Blaise about it? Or maybe Daphne? What about Pansy? Do you think she knows anything?" I asked hurriedly, my voice cracking at the end slightly,

"You're spending your break together, aren't you? Talk to him then, let him know how much he's upsetting you-"

"He's not!" I interjected, my tone was an octave higher, and it was clear Hannah didn't believe me,

"You're silent in the common room, you're distracted, your eyes are constantly full of tears, you're making stupid mistakes in your work, and you're not taking good care of yourself," Hannah said cautiously, with genuine concern running through her tone, "He is upsetting you, babe, whether you realise it or not,"

"What do you mean I'm not taking good care of myself? I am," I knitted my eyebrows, sounding a little defensive,

"When was the last time you got a full night's sleep?" Hannah arched her eyebrow at me,

"Um-"

"When was the last time you done something in your hair besides a ratty, messy bun?" Hannah asked,