Thirty-One: Reputation

**

Wednesday, 4th December, 1996

Today for Defence Against the Dark Arts, we had Professor Snape, and we were in the bigger practical classroom. I made sure to stand at the back, hoping that I could blend in as much as possible.

I found it nearly impossible to focus on what Professor Snape was saying, however, because I was standing directly next to Draco. I forced myself to keep facing forward, even though every single fibre of me was screaming to look to my right.

We were having to spilt up into pairs and practice Langlock on each other, and I panicked slightly at the thought of being paired with Draco. Just a few weeks ago, I would have been ecstatic at the thought, but not now.

As Professor Snape was sorting out the pairs, the group was getting smaller and smaller, with Draco and I still not paired up. I was almost shaking with fear.

"Malfoy and Parsons," Professor Snape called out in his usual drawl, which made my stomach twist,

"Sir, I don't think she wants to be with me," Draco said in a somewhat familiar tone,

"I don't care what it is Miss. Parsons wants, you are to be in a pair," Snape huffed impatiently.

I bit down on my bottom lip, my breathing had gotten heavier, and I was frozen in place. I didn't even care that everyone was staring at me, I just couldn't work with him.

"Oh, fine. Longbottom, switch so you're with Parsons. The few braincells you both share might make for one half-decent attempt of a spell," Professor Snape tutted and rolled his eyes.

Neville, who was originally paired with Harry, smiled at me, and then walked up to me. I deliberately made sure I didn't make any sort of eye contact with Draco, because I was afraid I would burst into tears.

Joining up with Neville, we made our way with the rest of the pairs. Hannah, who was with Susan, was looking at us both. I wasn't sure if I just imagined it, but it looked as though she smiled at me faintly.

Draco and Harry both looked miserable, and I did feel a little guilty, but a bigger part of me was thankful that I didn't have to work with him.

"Are you okay, Maddie?" Neville whispered in my ear,

"I am now," I replied honestly,

"I'm glad we get to be together. Sorry about what Snape said, you're definitely way smarter than me," Neville chuckled, but his tone very kind,

"He was wrong about you too, but I'm happy I get to work with you as well. He was right, I didn't want to work with him," I shrugged my shoulders slightly,

"I don't blame you; it can't be easy-"

"Parsons, if you don't stop talking to Longbottom, you will give me no choice but to switch back to work with Malfoy," Professor Snape sneered, "Now, do shut up and pay attention,"

**

During our Defence Against the Dark Arts class, Neville nor I managed to cast Langlock on each other. I didn't want to hurt him at all, but I wasn't sure why Neville was unsuccessful. Perhaps he didn't want to cast it on me either.

But naturally, Snape caught onto this and took no time in scolding us both and embarrassing us in front of everyone. We had been set an extra piece of work and had to write 500 words on how Langlock works.

I had developed a weird talent for making sure I was first to be sat down for our classes. I felt sick as I waited for Megan to come sit with me for Divination.