four - carolina townes

Townes' POV

I walked up to the studio address Harry gave me to meet him at. It was a tall white building on Sunset, double doors and security waiting to check me in.

I made my way up to the 12th floor, walking out of the elevator and looking around. There was no one at the front desk, but from down the right hall I could hear a piano being played. I made my way over to the music, leading me to the last room on the right.

I peeked in and saw Harry sitting, playing the piano. It wasn't a complete song, but mixed up pieces as if he was trying to find the right combination. I bit my lip listening, walking in quietly not wanting to disturb him.

None of the combinations he was choosing made sense, for some reason he kept missing the obvious choices. I made my way over, sliding into the piano chair next to him, and he peeked up at me smirking, "You really have no manners, huh?"

"And you're loosing your musical touch a bit, huh?" I said smugly, moving his hands from the keys, "This one..." I started playing one of the melodies I heard him playing, "Should go into this one." I said leading into another, "And this is obviously the chorus or the bridge, maybe." I said playing the final melody I had heard earlier.

Harry's POV

I watched her as she played the melodies I was struggling with earlier. There was no sheet music in front of me, it was all by ear. Her head seemed to tilt further to the left as she worked through it, her tongue slightly sticking out from her mouth.

"I think you were too preoccupied with how you wrote them each separately, and not paying enough attention to the actual notes and how they are meant to flow into each other." She said turning to me, and I couldn't help but smile big at her. Four days, and each day it was something new with her. I wondered if it would ever get old.

"Well that was the shortest audition I've ever had to hold. It's yours, just gotta tell me yes so I can have you meet with the appropriate people for the next steps." I said, quietly playing out the melodies as she had, biting my lip and shaking my head at how obvious she had made it seem.

"So, it's all year?" She said, turning to face me more.

"Yes, breaks for holidays of course, and some time to get out and explore wherever we are as well."

She took a deep breath and nodded, "Okay, sign me up."

"Famous last words." I said and she rolled her eyes.

"Let's hope not. So, what was that you were working on?" She said, taking off her bag and placing it in the floor. She reached down grabbing a clip from her bag, and twisting her long hair up and out of the way. Right behind her ear, near the nape of her neck was a small butterfly tattoo, reminding me of my own. I bit my lip at the sudden urge to reach for it, bringing my attention to her face.

"I'm not sure yet. I've literally been dreaming with those melodies. No words yet, just melodies." I said, keying some of the notes.

"You know, I know it's a hassle, but this is where sheet music comes in handy." She smiled small.

"You don't seem to need it."

"Not everyone's great." She smirked, a small giggle following.

"You know I feel bad for the band."

"Why is that?" She said.

"Two smug asses on one tour, it's going to be a lot to handle." I smirked, and she shrugged.

"At least I know I can be pleasant." She said playing a sweet little melody causing me to laugh.

"I'll have to agree. You definitely can." I smiled and she scrunched her nose at me. She turned back to the piano, playing the melodies again, making a couple changes, dropping some notes a bit lower.

"You can sing this, right?" She said, playing it again and I nodded. Somehow, within seven minutes, she took my start of a song and finished it, making sound exactly how I envisioned, but struggled to put together.

She played it one more time all the way through, and smiled. It was a new smile, she was proud of herself, and you could just tell she was remembering this moment, like a photograph.

"You're getting credit for this when the next album comes out." I said, getting up and looking for sheets to write it out in.

"No, it's fine—Townes, number one rule of the industry never let someone else take credit for your work. Ever. I wrote it, but you finished it, hell you made it even bloody better." I said finally finding the sheets and a pencil. I walked over and set it up in front of us, handing her the pencil, "So come on, put down your first song going on a professional album."

I saw the blush creep over her cheeks, her freckles seeming to darken as the blush did, "Harry."

"Townes." I said and she rolled her eyes nodding, she took a deep breath beginning to write the notes out.

We sat as she played it and wrote it out. I kept messing with her every once in a while, playing different keys to throw her off, to which she would throw a side eye at me, eventually shoving me softly. I caught her arm in my hand as she did, shaking my head, "As always, no manners."

"Guess I never was taught in a way that would stick." She shrugged, trying to pull her arm away, but I held it tightly enough.

"Hmm, someone should fix that," I said, licking my lips and shaking my head at her.

"They could try. Don't think they would succeed." She said, twisting her hand out of my hold and smirking.

"Just always love having the upper hand don't you?"

"It has its benefits. Never the heart broken, always the heart breaker. Always two steps ahead of everybody. I'm even two steps ahead of you. Have been since the moment you walked in the bar." She said, turning her body, and crossing both her legs in front of her on the seat.

"Oh really? How so?"

"You've come in every night thinking you were going to eventually get laid. Me, I've been playing your game knowing, it's never going to happen." She smiled smugly, and I chuckled, nodding my head.

"Never is a strong word, Carolina Townes." I held her gaze and she licked her lips.

"Never is a word I'm willing to place a hefty bet on, Harry Styles." She giggled a bit, before reaching up and letting her hair down. It cascading over her shoulder in a way that made me think each strand was working with her, adding some magic touch to her. She reached back for her bag, bringing it between her crossed legs and dropping the clip in, "Just let me know what comes next, I gotta go let Tasha know she's gunna need a new roommate."

She smiled at me, holding my gaze for a bit, before biting her lip and standing up. She threw her bag over her shoulder and took one last look at me, "I guess I'll be seeing you."

"Yeah, I guess so." I said, smiling and she turned and walked out of the studio.

Oh, Carolina Townes.