forty - in the first place

Townes' POV

Harry never came home last night. Now it was noon the next day, and he still wasn't back. I felt like I was moving through the day on autopilot. I hadn't washed my face or brushed my teeth. I couldn't twist my hair up properly no matter how much I tried. The clip was just barely hanging on each time.

Macy made small conversation with me, knowing I wasn't fully there. The only thing motivating me to get through all of this was Sarah and Mitch. Sarah had easily become one of my best friends, and today was her special day. I wanted it to be special. Not only would it be the band, Tasha, the Jones' and the Rowland's but Anne and Gemma would be joining too. I just wanted everything perfect.

"Townes, please eat something." Macy said softly and I shook my head, unclipping my hair and throwing the clip to the side.

"I'm okay." I said, pushing my hair behind my ears and tugging at it.

"Townes, you need to eat something. I can cut up an apple, I made a delicious caramel sauce for tonight, I want you to try it. Please?" She said, and I saw the worry in her eyes. I nodded, not wanting to worry her more.

"Okay. That's fine." I said, crossing my legs in front of me on the floor. I kept looking over at the door, just hoping he would come in. Hoping he wouldn't leave me feeling like the fool I felt like in this moment. I chewed on my lip and looked down, picking at the skin on my nails; trying to keep the tears in.

I hardly noticed when Macy came back from the kitchen, she lowered herself in front of me, placing the apples between us. She searched my face, then looked down and dipped an apple handing it to me. I sniffled and took it from her, biting into it as tears escaped me. I chewed, sniffling, it tasted delicious. Nothing Macy ever made tasted anything other than delicious.

"What happened Townes?" She said in almost a whisper.

"Camille, engaged. Harry found out." I threw the last bit of apple in my mouth, chewing as I cried. I felt so pathetic. I knew it didn't mean he still loved her. I knew it didn't mean he hadn't moved on. I could understand his hurt, I completely understood it. I just hoped he wouldn't run from me. That he would count on me to support him.

I knew it didn't help Mitch and Sarah's engagement was at the front and center of this week. I just didn't know how to make it better.

"How?" Macy asked, I knew now her concern was not just for me, but for Harry as well.

"She saw James at dinner, and came over to say hi. The rock was clear as day, and then her fiancé came over, and called her just that. His fiancé. I swear I heard his heart shatter." I shook my head, pulling my knees up to my chest. I couldn't control my tears anymore because I was also hurting for him.

Harry didn't deserve any of this. He was such a good person, such a beautiful soul. It killed me to think how much he was hurting. It wasn't long before I felt Macy wrap her arms around me, soothing me like a child.

"Everything will be fine, Townes. Him needing space right now is probably more than appropriate. He'll be back though, he really loves you. More than I think he ever loved her. It just....it's always going to be painful....you know?" She said in the most soothing voice, and I peeked up at her and nodded.

"I'm sorry, I know I smell and I haven't brushed my teeth." I said biting my lip and she laughed shaking her head.

"I didn't even notice. You're fine. Now come on, let's get this house party ready. Okay?" She put her forehead on mine and I nodded.

"Can I have a moment to freshen up, please?" I said wiping my face and she nodded.

Macy and I somehow pulled it off. The decorations, the food and we both got ready and looked pretty put together for how quickly we had to finish. I applied a light gloss to my lips and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I looked tired, no matter how much make up I put on. I smoothed my curls the best I could, pinning them back on both sides with bobby pins.