twenty four - niall horan

Dublin

Townes' POV

I wish I could say Harry and I had our Andie and Ben bathroom moment. I wish all the walls came down. When I had first woken up that next morning I was certain. He was still there, his breathing steady as he slept. When I woke up again later, he was gone.

I stretched against the pillows, reaching to hold him, but he wasn't there. I sat up, and couldn't help the immediate panic that came over me.

"Harry?" I called out, the room so quiet it actually hurt. I got up and looked around his drawers for a shirt I could slip on, pulling on my underwear. I practically ran out of the room, into the living space, but it was empty.

"Harry." I said, I felt my chest tighten so hard, like air couldn't circulate properly.

"Townes." I heard a voice say, and when I turned, from the look on Macy's face, I just knew, he wasn't here.

I shook my head at her, and I couldn't fight the tears. I covered my eyes in embarrassment. I felt a fool. A real fool for believing anything would ever be different.

No commitment.

His letter had read, and I should have known. I should have known.

I showed up to the studio early, really thriving in my early time with the piano. I hadn't explored much of Paris before we left, Mitch and Sarah forcing me out once, but I didn't care to see the city that had left me destroyed.

I sat at the piano, hitting the keys softly, practicing the song we would be recording. I was nervous, not because of the work, but because it would be the first time I would be in a room with Harry that wasn't a concert arena. Where I would have to receive directions from him.

He had done an excellent job at avoiding me and treating me like I wasn't there during our last shows, that I was numb to it. Here, we wouldn't be able to avoid that.

I took a deep breath, starting to play something different that had been living in my head. I heard someone clear their throat, and when I peeked up I saw Niall standing in the doorway.

"Sorry, we are having a closed session in here today." He said, his voice kind.

"Oh, I know. I'm the key player." I smiled small and he nodded, raising a soft eyebrow at me.

"Ahh, right, Hazza told me about you. Says you could be a producer if you tried. Apparently you could play anything by ear?" He said, walking over and sitting next to me on the bench. I scoot over, giving him a bit more room.

I felt pain at the mention of Harry, and the idea of him talking about me only made it worse, "Uh, well, I'm professionally trained. I guess it comes with the territory."

"Hmm, let's see then. Eyes up away from the keys." He said and I bit my lip, keeping my eyes up. He played a quick melody and turned to me, "Okay, give it a go."

I shook my head slightly, closing my eyes remembering the melody, and then playing it back to him.

"Hmm, impressive. Let's see what about this one." He started playing a melody, throwing in random notes in that didn't correlate with the melody to try and throw me off, "Alright, and that one."

"Well that one," I said narrowing my eyes at him softly, "Should, sound like this..." I played it correctly, without the extra notes, "But you played this to try and throw me off." I said playing it the way he had and he smiled at me, a soft chuckle escaping him as he nodded his head.

"Okay you are good. But that's probably super easy to do." He said teasing and I raised my eyebrows at him.

"Alright, mister I once was in the biggest pop boy group in the world, let's see how good you are." I began to play and noticed his eyes peeking down, I stopped and widened my eyes at him, "Hey no peeking!" I exclaimed, laughing and he joined in.