forty three - the temp

Townes' POV

I flattened the front of my black dress, looking myself over in the mirror. Today was the wake, and I wanted to be anywhere but near that casket. My grandmother insisted it be open, and I couldn't bare the thought of seeing him like that. I wanted to be able to keep his face alive and happy in my memory. Not cold and molded into what some person thought looked like him.

I took a deep breath and grabbed his black cardigan I had stolen from his closet, slipping it on and wrapping myself in it. It still smelled like him, like his Calvin Klein cologne with just a soft hint of Bengay. I couldn't help but giggle at the scent.

It's the clear sign you no longer can party with the youngsters. When you start smelling like menthol.

I took a deep breath shaking my head at the thought, and began making my way out to the living room so we could head out. In the living room was Tasha, Harry, Benny and my grams. My grandma was leaning on Benny, Tasha glaring at Harry from across the living room, Harry peeking up at me.

"Aren't we a lively bunch." I said softly, pressing my lips together into a smile, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well if you took any longer, Tasha might have murdered Harry." Benny said, raising his eyebrows and I chuckled.

"I mean, I still might." Tasha teased and I rolled my eyes at her.

"Well then, on that note, let's head out. We still have to set up some stuff before people start arriving." I smiled and they nodded, Harry the first up, quickly by my side.

He placed his hand on my lower back, and we started our way out, getting into Harry's car.

Harry's POV

At the funeral home, I tried to be as helpful as possible, trying to make sure she wasn't doing too much. Tasha seemed to have the same mentality, so it forced her to talk to me for the time being.

"Can you move those flowers near the coffin please? I don't want her going over there, and I don't think I can handle it either." She said and I picked up the vases nodding.

"I got it." I walked over and placed them down nicely around the coffin. I peeked over at him, and I was happy he still somewhat looked like him. If  Townes were to look, I felt happy knowing it wouldn't be traumatizing.

"Harry." I heard Townes call, and I quickly turned around until I spotted her, walking in her direction.

"Yes?"

"Look, Sarah and Mitch are about to get here, I can't greet them right now, I have to fix the food, can you please go grab them. I already gave them a heads up you are coming, just please, keep the peace." She said, I could tell she was already stressing, and though I hadn't faced them yet, I had to start somewhere.

"Okay. That's fine." I smiled small and she returned it, leaning forward and kissing my cheek.

"Thank you." She said before walking away.

I nodded and took a deep breath, making my way over to the entrance. I waited outside until I saw them turning the corner, Sarah glancing over and quickly looking away. Mitch staring at me like he could murder me on the spot.

"Hey guys, ah, Townes wanted me to grab you all."

"Mhm." Sarah said, glancing down at her shoes, her sweater hanging cover her crossed arms.

I ran my fingers through my hair, looking out in the distance before looking at them both again, "I'm sorry. I'm truly, sorry. I royally screwed up. Not only with Townes, but your night. I'm really sorry."