thirteen - happy birthday

Harry was out of town for the next few days, I hardly talked to him due to the different time zones, but before he left, I had moved my stuff into the guest room at his house. I would be spending most of my time here, and we only had a week and a half left in London anyway, we both felt it right. The night I moved in, we didn't sleep together, and I didn't enter his room at all. I couldn't help but want to keep that previous last night together sacred. Him holding me, us just sharing small conversation.

Now that he had been gone for long though, I craved him. I couldn't wait for him to come home. I was up early, checking on the sourdough bread I had been working on, it was finally in the baking process and I was so excited to see the final product.

I whipped together butter, honey and a little bit of brown sugar in a small bowl, placing it in the fridge to cool for when the bread was ready. Macy walked in and smiled at me, "Hi Townes."

"Hey Mace! It's almost ready, come peek at it, it's looking perfect!" I called her over and we looked through the small oven window.

"I felt like we were never going to get to this point." She smiled at me and I nodded.

"I know, I made some whipped butter for it too, a recipe my granny taught me."

I watched as Macy pulled out two white coffee mugs and started making this chai latte from scratch that I had become addicted too. I loved the way it tasted, the way it smell. It gave such a beautiful warm feeling through my soul.

"Do you know if Harry will be back in time for his birthday?" I heard Macy ask me and I peeked up at her. I felt slightly confused and she could tell, "His birthday is Saturday. I couldn't remember if he's coming back tomorrow night, or Saturday night."

"Oh, I had no idea. He's supposed to be back tomorrow night, well, I guess on his birthday, because it's technically Saturday already. Because he's getting here at 1am, on his birthday." I kept emphasizing his birthday, more for me than Macy.

"Townes, he hates his birthday. Don't feel bad for not knowing." She smiled small, "I always prep something small for him, keep it simple, and end it with a small vanilla cupcake. No candle."

"No candle? A cupcake? Who wants to celebrate their birthday like that?"

"Harry, actually." She smiled at me, going to the fridge to grab the almond milk and pouring a bit in each cup. She placed mine next to me, I hopped up on the counter before picking up my cup and taking a sip. I closed my eyes at the taste and smiled.

"So, why doesn't he like birthdays?" I asked.

"NDA, Townes."

"Pleeeeease." I pouted and she rolled her eyes.

"You're used to getting your way aren't you?" She looked at me sternly and I laughed. Macy was only three years older than me, but she treated me in a very motherly way that I actually appreciated.

"He and his girlfriend, they broke up that day, two birthdays ago. On his 25th. It was bad. He was planning on proposing that night."

"What?" I said, trying to replay in my mind who he had been linked to in the media.

"He changed, since then. I had just started working for him, so I saw the change happen. He trusts me Townes." She said, Harry's one condition playing over in my head.

"I know, he really does. I won't say anything. I promise." I held out my pink and she pushed it away causing me to laugh.

"I don't need that I trust you." She smiled at me.

"Sooo, he would be very upset if we made a nice dinner for him, and a whole cake, and invited the band?" I said, sipping my chai, my eyes peeking at her over the cup.