forty two - chances

Townes' POV

No one tells you about the silence that comes with someone's passing. How the worlds seems to pause on that single moment of realizing they are gone. Nothing can fill the void, not even daylight.

My grandpa had passed of a stroke. He was looking right at my grandmother when it happened. I kept imagining how that must have felt for her. Seeing it happen and not being able to do anything.

A weeks worth of shows were rescheduled, Harry refusing to find a temporary pianist for them. He had been by my side through it all. I don't think I could remember what it felt like to have my left hand free as my own, because it was interlaced with his since the moment we got up off that floor at my apartment. He was by my side every second of every hour and I didn't mind. I needed that support, I needed that person that was going to keep me moving forward.

We didn't talk about the night of Sarah and Mitch's engagement. We didn't talk about Camille. We didn't talk about the limbo our relationship was in. We just kept going through each day, concentrating on my grandma and helping her plan out my grandpa's funeral.

"I ordered us some salads and sandwiches, they should be coming in about thirty minutes." He said, kissing the top of my head softly. That was another thing, he was being very careful with the intimacy factor, which I appreciated. I had kissed him just once since my grandpa passed, just once.

We crawled into my bed, Harry sitting up against the headboard while I laid on his chest. I had reached a point where I couldn't cry anymore, even if I tried. And I did try. I wanted to get all the emotions out.

"My ears are open to anything you want to talk about. Any story you want to tell. When my stepdad passed...telling stories of him is what helped me get through it." He said softly, his fingers tracing small circles on my back.

"I can't even think right now." I said softly, and he lifted my face so we made eye contact.

"And that's okay. I'll think for you." He whispered softly. I bit my lip and nodded, searching his eyes, and against my better judgement I leaned up and kissed him.

We kissed for a while, my emotions on high motivating the kiss, and the small bliss it was bringing my soul. We broke the kiss eventually, his forehead softly on mine, until I readjusted myself, letting my head fall in his chest. Letting the comfort he brought lull me to sleep.

"Thank you, we need to make sure my grams eats, she's been just picking at her food." I said softly, looking over the food for the wake and the lunch the next day, "You sure Macy didn't mind? It's a good handful of people she would be cooking for."

"She volunteered before I even asked, I promise, she's making what she can ahead of time so she's not swarmed." He said sitting in the chair next to me. He reached for my hand and laced our fingers together, I looked at him and smiled softly, "How are you?"

I shrugged, tracing the top of his hand with my thumb, "I'm not sure. I'm just trying to get through these next couple of days. Did you figure out the rescheduled dates?"

"No, not yet, Jeff said he had a couple things he needed to figure out before we could."

I nodded knowing well enough, I was what needed to be figured out.

"Hi Jeff. Thank you for meeting with me." I smiled as we sat down at the small cafe I had him meet me at.

"No of course, again, I'm sorry for your loss, Townes. It's never easy." He said, a soft smile of sympathy on his face.

I nodded a bit, and pushed my hair behind my ear, "Umm, I was just wondering, how I could go about terminating my contract. I don't want any legal trouble or anything of that sort. It's just, my grandma needs me. The only child she has is my dad, and well....he's an asshole."