Chapter 13

I was dumbfounded. My eyes narrowed as I stared at her, wondering if my eyes had just deceived me.

When I heard her sniff and wipe her arm across her face, it became clear that the almighty Laura was actually in tears.

I didn't even know where I got the strength to leap out of bed and rush to her. It was unbelievable to see Laura shed tears, and whatever had put her in such sadness as to bring out tears in her eyes must have been extremely hurting.

Whatever that man she was talking about had done must have been really brutal and had turned Laura into the demon she had become.

"Laura..." I called from behind her, and just as I placed my hand on her shoulder, she shuddered as if my hand had done something to her.

"How old are you now?" 

The question surprised me, and I could notice her breathing slightly faster than usual without turning to me yet.

"18… years, why do you ask?" I stuttered with my eyebrows furrowed as her question sounded odd to my ears, but she quickly exclaimed, turning to me with her eyes widening in panic and confusion, forcing my feet to stumble back in fright at her sudden reaction.

"You are 18 already?" She gasped as her breath went faster and anxiety sparkled in her eyes while staring intently at me.

"Yes, what...

I was unable to complete my question before she turned abruptly and walked away. I tried holding her back, but a hot slap from her reset my brain in a snap.

"Don't you dare touch me with those filthy hands!" She warned, her eyes cold and brimming with a wicked glint, before walking away and slamming the door shut with a bang, while I stood there wincing in pain from her slap and taken aback by each of her reactions.

I wished I had lied about my age, but it was too late. I had to face whatever danger was coming. That whole day, I was entirely confused and couldn't concentrate on whatever I was doing. My head was filled with different thoughts, and every time I came across Laura, she would look away and wouldn't even spare a glance at me, let alone say anything.

It went on for a few days before I began to notice she was getting more agitated by the day. She would always do everything to stay away from me. Even if we find ourselves in one room, she would look everywhere else except where I was, and talking to me kept becoming things of the past.

The most surprising part was that they all stopped tormenting me and rarely had time to hit me for any mistake. Everyone began to give me space as if I were some kind of monster that would kill them soon.

Each morning when I wake up to clean the house and do other chores, the maid and servant all avoid me. The bodyguards won't even say a word to me.

The beating ended, and every torture inside the royal packhouse never went on again. As the day went by, I noticed the omegas and servants returning to their duties. One day I woke, turned off the alarm, and went back to sleep. When I woke up again, it was very late in the morning, and I was scared that they would punish me.

But when I rushed out of my room with the broom and dustpan, I realized everything was tidy. The food had also been cooked, and I ate the one left over in the pot, thinking I would be beaten for it, but nothing happened. It was actually my share that I took.

Things went peacefully so suddenly that I was perplexed and frightened. There was no one to explain what was going on, not even Scarlett would tell me. My father and the Luna didn't even spare me a single second, and I couldn't dare step in their way just to ask why I wasn't receiving the daily dose of maltreatment.