Chapter 42

There was a loud silence, and everyone couldn't believe their eyes as they all stared bewildered at her, especially Laura, who kept blinking and squinting her eyes at Ella, who looked so different than we all knew.

She appeared so different, yet I couldn't put my finger on what had changed in her. Maybe it was the confidence in her entire appearance—how her eyes, which had always held sadness and dejection, were suddenly glistening with pride like those of a queen who was controlling an empire.

Laura told me Ella fought with a high-ranking demon, but she doesn't look like one who went through a slight brawl. Her dress was still clean.

She still wore her school uniform, but it was suddenly well ironed and fitting to her body as if a new one had been made specially for her. Her brown hair, which had always been messed up and disheveled, was now permed, gleaming as it flowed down to her back like a waterfall.

There was also a pearl hair pin fixed at the side, making her suddenly appear like a princess and not the slave and shattered soul we all knew her to be.

Her porcelain skin was way too fresh and glowing under the radiation of the sun striking into the room from the curtains.

She wore a smile as she stared at the Alpha, and I could tell it really graced her face. She was undoubtedly so pretty and elegant from all angles.

What the hell happened? How did she change this much?

No one could talk as they kept scanning her and scrubbing their eyes just to be sure they weren't having illusions. The aura emanating from Ella was truly unspeakable.

"What is this meeting for?" Ella broke the silence. Her voice suddenly brimmed with authority, the type that made everyone flinch as they all grimaced.

"Where did you go to?" The alpha seethed, trying to ignore the intimidating appearance of Ella. He was the last person to be subdued by Ella's new nature, but no one can doubt that this wasn't the Ella we all knew, she had changed entirely.

"I was dead, but was given a second chance to right my wrongs. I was given a second chance to be the woman I was destined to be!" She responded with that cheerful smile, which she was the only one giving out.

No other person in the hall returned her smile, yet she didn't stop smiling.

"You broke the Alpha's rule! Now you snuck in thinking you can go scot free? I guess you should already know the punishment that awaits you for trying to escape!" Laura blurted, standing from her throne, with venom in her eyes and tone. The hatred was so pure and deep that everyone could feel it.

Before, Ella would shudder and begin to plead with tears in her eyes and fear wreaking havoc in her, but this new girl was still smiling and had also chuckled after what Laura said.

"First correction. He isn't just the alpha, but also my father. Secondly, I didn't try to escape. I was attacked by your fellow demons, but I managed to escape. I am sure you thought I was dead and can't believe your eyes now..." Ella replied with a smirk, and I could notice Laura flinch in shock but quickly compose herself.

"How dare you accuse the Luna of being a demon so boldly in front of us all? You have grown wings, huh?!" The new Beta snarled, his fists clenched, as he rose to his feet, glaring at Ella in rage.

"I didn't accuse her. I simply said the truth, which she knows fully well..." Ella paused and for the first time turned her eyes to me, forcing shudders of fear down my spine as I quickly looked away, swallowing the lumps in my throat. my heart began to thump hard.

I didn't know what was causing this terror to build up in me at her gaze. I can't clearly explain how Ella, who was my slave, was suddenly instilling panic inside me, but I knew deep in me that she had gotten some supreme powers. That weak girl that anyone could oppress and bully at will, had died, and a dangerous girl had taken her place.