Chapter 30

Dracula's POV

My heart was racing and hitting hard inside my chest as I made my way to the proprietor's office. I was almost running through the corridors, breathing shakily as I narrowed my eyes and racked my brain to figure out what could be in the letter.

It could have been good news, bad news, or just a goodwill message to check in on me and wish me happiness, but my instinct wasn't on the good side. The more I tried forcing myself to believe it wouldn't be anything heartbreaking, the more I felt fear twisting up inside me.

I was almost sweating while trying to maintain a calm breath, which was almost impossible.

"What could be wrong?" I mused and shivered while my wolf cuddled up inside me with his tail covering his face as he also trembled over the foreboding sensation spreading all over us.

I couldn't tell where the problem would arise from or what it was, but I knew deep within me that this letter wasn't a good one.

Finally, after what seemed like a hundred years, I was able to reach the office. It wasn't a long distance, but my anxiety made every step seem like a thousand.

I took a deep breath and was about to open the door when I smelled it, right from the office. The mate smell wafted out of the proprietor's office, which I was about to enter.

It was a feminine scent of strawberries and vanilla mixed with the same heartwarming scent of a mate.

My feet stuck to the ground, and every part of my body was frozen as I sniffed and stared at the door with my eyes wide open in disbelief and shock. My heart sank to the ground as it became clearer to me.

"Mate!" My wolf shrieked, yanking me forward to open the door fast, as he desired to get hold of our mate, but I couldn't move an inch.

I watched frozen in place, wondering what was going on. I just left Ella right now to meet the proprietor for the letter, and right inside his office, I just smelled the intoxicating scent of my beloved mate.

"Is Ella inside here? How and when did she get in there before me?" I asked myself in a low tone, still confused and staring at the door and the hallway that led back to the restaurant where Ella was.

"She is not the one in there. We had been fooled!" My wolf howled, anger boiling in him as he paced around, sniffing and puffing.

"What do you mean?" I fired back, gritting my teeth as I shook my head, refusing to believe that what my wolf was insinuating was the truth.

"The girl in there is our true mate! Laura was right about Ella. The mate bond isn't real! She had been using tricks on us all this time!" My wolf retorted, and I instantly became weak, shutting my eyes and taking a deep breath to calm my nerves. 

His words just rang like an alarm bell in my head, causing my heart to flutter as I leaned on the wall, breathing shakily while the intoxicating smell battered my nostrils, tugging at my heartstrings and pulling a stronger bond between me and my real mate, who was behind the closed door.

"Is he coming?" I overheard her voice from inside, and the soft tone gave me goosebumps. There was no doubt I was feeling every connection and bond to clear all doubt that she was my mate, and even when the connection wasn't as strong as that of Ella, I needed no soothsayer to know Ella had fooled me with her charm all this time.

What I don't understand is why she would do such a despicable thing without fear that I would find out one day and deal with her without mercy. Laura warned me. Scarlett warned me, and even the Alpha did the same to prevent me from being used like an idiot by Ella, but I allowed myself to be toyed around.