Chapter 55

And that was how it all happened, right in my face. Like a dream, like an illusion that I thought was all playing in my head. It was so shocking that I couldn't talk; no sound could come out of my lips as I watched their faces, their eyes glinting with pure hatred and venom that showed how much they wanted me dead.

No single one of them would ever spare me if they had the powers and abilities to defeat me. The only person who still trusted me was Dracula, my mate. Even Scarlett, who I was with when the death of my father occurred, still leered at me like a murderer. She won't say it out loud due to fear, but I could see how she looked at me differently now.

Randy and Selene, whom I thought I had made my closest friends and who should stand by me and defend me against the accusations of my own people, hurried off to their pack with claims that they had serious issues to attend to.

I was left all alone, standing in front of everyone like a different breed, an alien who no one could recognize anymore. They peer at me just as if I were a monster.

They had all gathered at the square, and my father's letter would be read out to them once again. That was the evidence the investigators found in that room that my father was killed. I was the only one to answer the questions lingering in everyone's mind because all fingers are pointed at me as the brutal killer.

They hadn't pounced on me because of my new strength and the Lycan I had as a mate, but their eyes said it all. I would never be loved by them. They will never accept me as their leader and would prefer to die at the hands of the demons than ask me for help.

The cold breeze of the evening blew over my face, scattering my hair over my face as I stood there with Dracula up on the elevated floor, which would make everyone see me clearly. It was a position where every Alpha of our pack stood, as they would be introduced to the people as next to rule. It was a stage for new rulers to be offered to the people, who would scream their approval and acceptance.

Everything would then round up with a big party. Mine is different. I am here to answer an accusation that I knew nothing about. Something that left me confused and dumbfounded Even my brain had gone numb, because how will I explain? Where will I start?

"Do we all care to know anything about Laura? She should be the prime suspect here!" I spoke out with all the courage left in me.

"We don't care about her because she is a chosen mate of our Alpha and not his fated one. She isn't our true Luna. You killed the true Luna, and now the Alpha points at you as the reason for his death. Explain it to us! A man from the crowd retorted, and the crowd went noisy in approval of what the man had said.

"Kill us all you want. But we want you out of this place. You're evil!" Another voice shouted at me louder from the crowd, and the noise went wilder.

"Silent!" Dracula's voice struck like truck like thunder, and in an instant, every noise died down, and the whole place became dead silent, as if everyone had gone deaf.

"I understand your fear, but it shouldn't make you stupid. I, the great Lycan prince, am standing here beside her to defend her from this accusation, not because she is my mate but because I am very sure she didn't harm your dickhead Alpha. He caused his death on himself!" His voice roared as he glared at them in fury.

"The what about the letter We all clearly know the alphabet's handwriting. You knew her after finding her as your mate, but we saw her born into this world and grow inside here with us. Are you aware how she cruelly killed her own mother?" A burly man from the crowd picked up courage as he said all that to the Lycan prince.

Others joined in to support him afterwards.

"What about Laura too? Why did she run away? Have you checked on that before pointing fingers at my innocent mate?" Dracula fired back, and there was silence.