Chapter 35

Ella's POV

As I trudged home tiredly, under the aggressive heat of the sun, I felt the stinging and crushing pain in my heart. The worst pain I had ever felt wasn't physical. All my suffering and series of maltreatments can't be compared to this consuming torture in my heart.

It was another kind of pain, so different from others, striking deep into the core of my soul and tearing it apart, leaving me empty and blank.

I let myself go back to the time when he showered me with overwhelming love. I felt the sensation of having someone who truly cared and could do anything to keep you safe, which I had been deprived of since my mother's death.

It hurt so much to realize it was all over. He had found his mate, the one he was ready to spend the rest of his life with. In his eyes, I was the fake one. The moon goddess, who had hated my life and vowed to torture me forever, had actually come up with another plan to make me more miserable.

Some times I wonder if I am supposed to be a living creature. I always wonder if it was a mistake that I was born or if nature and everything on earth were all against me. It had been years, and I was still hoping everything would end, but it kept getting worse.

The moon goddess should just kill me rather than put me through all this! Dracula is truly my mate and has accepted me. He was ready to shower me with all his love and make my life a paradise on earth.

We both knew the curse would end my life, so he promised to kill himself too because he wouldn't be able to live without me. That was a statement that made me blush and shed tears. It was something that touched my soul and made me vow within myself to find a way to end his curse, no matter what it would take.

But life is just so cruel to me. It didn't even give me 24 hours of happiness. It didn't allow me to savor the moment at all because it destroyed it, pulling me back to my dark world of gloom and loneliness.

The moon goddess has given him another mate who has revoked his curse; now he doesn't believe me anymore. He had joined others in calling me a demon and despising me too.

How ruthless can life be for me? What was my crime? Was I really cursed never to experience joy?

My lips were trembling, and tears blurred my vision as I fought back the urge to burst into a wild cry because of how broken I was. My heart was thumping so fast and furious.

The piercing cry of my wolf as she curled together inside me kept adding to my sorrow. Since my mother died, she had never tasted happiness again. We both believed in our mates. We both thought it was going to end when he came. How wrong could we be?

He is here and was the one hurting us without mercy. He had warned us a second time to stay away from him. The curse that we feared is gone, but we aren't together anymore.

He now hates me just like everyone else in this world? I was now alone in this wicked world.

Both of my legs shook as a sudden spasm waved through them. I almost fell and crashed at the walk way, but I was fortunate to regain my balance quickly. The sun seemed to also hate me passionately as the scorching heat increased and prickled my skin and face, forcing me to squint my already aching eyes.

There was no money to board any bus or bike, and Scarlet had gone home alone with the car, all because I refused to go back home with Dracula's bank card. I guessed he would come back for it, so I waited back in the class.

I was right. He actually came for it as if he had read my mind.

The truth was that I wasn't waiting to just hand the card to him. No, I waited because I wanted to be sure I wasn't having nightmares or some kind of illusion when I saw him with that girl.

It felt like a prank, and I expected him to tell me to my face that she was nothing to him—that he still loved me more than anyone else—but I ended up being destroyed by him again and again.

When I saw him hugging and almost kissing that girl, it was like a bullet shot right into my chest, but instead of killing me, it kept me alive to wallow in the agony. I had run away and didn't enter the class. I had snuck to the school farm, sobbing vehemently all to myself till I was tired. It was till closing time before I went back to the class.

It was so hard to believe my eyes as I stood there at the door of the proprietor's office, wishing it would all fade into the air like an illusion, but nothing happened.

They didn't even notice me because of how engrossed they were. Dracula just confessed his love for me, and at that same moment, in less than an hour, he went away to take a letter from the proprietor's office, and that was it; he took another girl over me. I came to check what had been holding him for so long only to be faced with the greatest shock of my life.

Where did I go wrong?

Scarlett doesn't seem to care about me, as she didn't even waste time driving home when I told her of my intention to return the bank card to Dracula. Not just her, but everyone in the house was more interested in other things than maltreating me. They seemed to have had enough of me, and I had hoped for better days ahead, but here comes Dracula, the love of my life, dumping me like garbage.

Fuck it!!!

"We gave him two days; wasn't it a stupid thing to say to someone who had hated us, thinking we used demonic charm on him? He's already smitten with that stranger..." My pitiful wolf sulked, and I didn't even know when I began to whimper, sweeping my hand across my forehead to get rid of the sweat and tears that had dampened my face.

I was a mess. He really messed me up. The journey was still quite far, and I wasn't sure if I could survive everything. I regretted not leaving with Scarlet. I didn't realize how stupid I was. It was so foolish of me to go through this suffering for a dickhead who I thought was my savior. After getting roasted by this sun, I will still be punished in that hell of a house.

When everyone in school finds out tomorrow that Dracula dumped me for that strange girl, what will be my fate? When they hear that the mate bond wasn't real, just as Dracula insinuated, I wonder how I will survive it.

My life really sucks!

Just then, so unexpectedly, there was a thunderclap in the sky, and the cloud became darker and was covering the sun, signifying a rain fall. A cool breeze blew and whirled around, sending a chilling sensation through my hot body. It felt so good and relaxing—but not until the heavy downpour of rain began.

It was as if the rain was sent from the moon goddess to punish me, as it fell like hard rocks on me. The rain was aggressive, and lightning and thunder clapping wouldn't stop. I barely saw my path as the rain fell ravagingly.

Everyone was seeking refuge and shade, but I was the only one who dared not take cover. The punishment at home will only increase with how much time I wasted before returning home.

Cars were zooming past me, and with each that approached, I would make a silent prayer that the driver would volunteer to help me, but none did that. My prayer didn't cross my head.

Just when I lost hope, a car stopped by and honked. I didn't see who the driver was because the rain was so heavy and blinding, and because I was already freezing, exhausted, and drained, I slid in immediately. But when I sat down and saw who was beside me in the back seat, I shook in fear, regretting what I had just done.

But it was already too late. The doors were automatically locked.

"I finally got you." His deep, menacing growl shot into my ear as those bright red and lethal eyes glared back at me with venom in them.