Chapter 1 - Eleanor Rhodes

LA. A new start. A fresh start. That's exactly what Eleanor Rhodes was searching for. Moving 2500 miles away from everything she knew in Florida, and planting herself straight into the new and crazy world of LA.

She was leaving life as a lifeguard behind to start up a new, yet similar career path. LAFD. Since the tragic passing of her parents Eleanor knew she wanted to do what she could to change the system and save those that needed it.

After facing months of physical training and tests, she had passed, against the odds, against what all the men around her thought; the innocent looking blonde girl passed top of her class across the board.

Eleanor was assigned to the 118, a fire house she didn't know would soon become her second home.

-

It was midday when Eleanor drove across town from her recently purchased apartment in her scruffy old jeep that she could never part with; she drove the entire way form Florida with her entire life in the car.

On the way over to the station, a large crash could be heard over the sound of her music. Up ahead, smoke began to rise in the air and screams echoed out. Eleanor quickly drove towards the accident rather than away, wanting to help in any way she knew how. She pulled up to the scene of the accident, her heart beating through her chest, having never witnessed anything first hand.

She jumped out of the car and rushed over to see a tankard and multiple vehicles. "LAFD" She called out "Has anyone phoned 911?" She asked about as she began to look at the victims that appeared to get off with just a few scratches.

"They're on the way," Someone responded.

Wearing nothing but a white, form fitting vest and black cargos, El headed to the smoking car, seeing the victim unconscious. She began knocking on the glass "LAFD, can you hear me?" She called loudly, continuing to bang on the window to no avail.

She took a step back to survey the scene, only to notice the tankared was leaking flammable fluid onto the streets of LA. "I need everyone able to walk to get as far back as possible" She called, to which those that could obeyed.

"He's not breathing!" A woman screamed to her right.

El rushed over "Ma'am, what's his name?" She asked as she knelt down next to the teenage boy who had a large leg lassaration.

"Billy.." She stuttered out.

El pushed her fingers into the boy's neck in hopes of finding a pulse but to no avail. She quickly ripped off her belt and tied it round the boy's leg in an attempt to slow the bleeding. "I need you to apply pressure like this?" El spoke to the mother, demonstrating what to do.

With shaking hands the women did as El commanded before allowing her to start CPR. With blood covered hands El began CPR, pushing hard on the boy's chest in hopes of bringing him back. The whole word seemed slowed. She already has a kid's life in her hands and her shift hadn't even started. "Come on Billy" She spoke through her gulps of breath, sweat already emulating off her forehead as the heated sun shone down upon her.

In the distance the sound of sirens could be heard, getting louder and louder as they neared. Just as they arrived she checked for a further pulse. She got one. She turned round to see the two paramedics running over to her. "I got him back, but pulse is weak, deep laceration to the right leg, I've tied off the leg and applied pressure. His name's Billy" She spoke, moving a piece of the loose hair from her face, a faint remainder of blood wiping across her forehead.

"You damn near may have saved this kid's life" The woman said to her with a small hopeful smile as she tied a neck brace around him.

El returned the smile before turning round to see what appeared to be the captain ordering his men around. She ran over to him "The tank is leaking gas or something else and from the looks of it that car could go any second" She spoke to him.

"Thanks for your help ma'am we can take it from here" He spoke, his name badge catching her eye. Nash.

"Captain Nash, I'm Rhodes, your new recruit" She called after him as he began to help out.

"Well you better get stuck in" He sent her a smile.

"On it Cap" She confirmed with a nod before rushing over to help the two paramedics lift the boy up on the backboard.

-

Once the situation had been dealt with accordingly, El jumped back into her car and headed down to the fire station. With her dirty blonde hair tied back in a slick yet curly ponytail, she headed into the firehouse, nerves yet excitement beating in her chest. With her bag on her shoulder she wandered in, eyes instantly glancing over at her.

"Rhodes" Nash called from the balcony above, gesturing for her to come up.

"Captain Nash" Eleanor spoke, giving the man a firm handshake.

"Sorry we didn't quite have a formal introduction earlier. Seems like you wanted to get straight into the action" He released a soft chuckle. "This lot call me Bobby" He spoke in a kind voice, "We have a tradition here, we're out in the field together 50 plus hours a week, we're a family, so we sit and eat like one" He smiled, placing his hand on the girl's firm shoulder. "Welcome to the family"

Eleanor gave him a thankful smile accompanied with a nod of her head.

"Everyone this Eleanor, she is a new recruit, passed top of her class across the board, we are lucky to have her a part of this team" Captain Nash spoke to the team. "Plus apparently she has the ability to beat us to an emergency" He laughed, others joined in.

Greets, handshakes and welcomes were offered by every member of the team as they went to enjoy their home cooked meal. Hen, one of the LAFDs EMTs showed her the female locker room and where she could keep her stuff. She changed into her uniform, taking a few moments to admire herself before heading upstairs, her navy cargos hugging her soft curves.

"El you come sit here" Hen spoke with a sweet smile, pulling out the chair next to her.

"Thank you, this smells great Cap" She gave him a warm smile before being handed the serving spoon.

"Thank you" Bobby returned the smile.

"So where you from Rhodes?" Chimney asked her, testing out her surname as a nickname.

"Florida, coast" She spoke, "Used to be a lifeguard, but wanted a change of scenery, and I thought, why not join the 118?" She teased playfully, gaining laughs from the table around her. She couldn't help but feel the burning blue eyes of Buckley, staring straight into her heart...well breasts.

With smooth conversation flowing and introductions being shared, El felt as though she was really going to fit in here. There was Chimney, the funny paramedic, always with a smile on his face. Hen, Chimney's best friend, the 2nd half to the paramedic team. Then there was Buck. Buck was clearly the smooth talking, stereotypical good looking guy that got whatever he wanted. Safe to say, El thus far, was not a fan.

After the plates were cleared down, it was just a waiting game. El decided to take this time to get some training in, fitness being a passion of hers and with her career choice it made sense. El was stretching when she heard an attention cough from behind her. She turned from her bent over position to face Buck who was standing with his large arms crossed behind her. "So you saved a kid's life before you even started and now you're working out?"

"I can see you're the one with the brains round here" El laughed and rolled her eyes at Buck, gaining a chuckle from Hen and Chim who were restocking the ambulance.

"Do you want a workout partner?" He asked however the bell sounded and everyone scattered to grab their equipment.

El merely smirked at Buck for a moment before grabbing her gear and heading into the engine, putting on her headset, listening in to what was being said. The sirens sounded and they began to roll out. Her first official job.