Chapter 13 - Eleanor Begins (Part 1)

17. Another year, another birthday. Eleanor woke up at 8am, nothing unusual for her. She was a good kid with a good routine, everyday filled with studying or hobbies. She sat herself up in bed, stretching out before her door burst open, her parents walking in with a cake singing 'happy birthday'. Eleanors face lit up happily as she saw her parents coming to greet her, just the same as they had done every year prior.

Once they had finished she gave them a huge smile before blowing out the candles on the light pink and white frosted cake. "Happy birthday Nora" Her mother spoke in a sweet tone. Eleanor was a miracle child. Her parents had tried for years and years, had lost multiple along the way. They were on the verge of giving up until Laura, her mother, became pregnant with Eleanor.

Ever since their little girl was brought into the world they made sure to keep her safe, made sure she wanted for nothing. Eleanor had the perfect childhood, she wasn't spoiled, she was taught the value of things however she definitely had a more privileged life than most. Her parents were happily married, they had stable jobs all while giving their daughter as much or as little attention as she desired.

They took her to all her hobbies which included swimming, surfing and gymnastics. Due to living in Florida and her parents' love for the beach she grew up to love the ocean and water. She was a water baby. Keeping on theme and with it being the heat of summer, Eleanor had decided she wanted to spend her birthday with her parents at the beach.

Eleanor got herself ready for the day, putting on her black, form fitting, black surf suit, her legs exposed so she could catch a tan. She pulled on a pair of denim shorts before heading out into the living space of their neat and modern home.

"You ready kiddo?" Her father, Dean asked with a sweet smile as he finished packing the beach bag.

"Absolutely" She beamed, her pearly white teeth flashing with excitement.

With that, the three of them headed out the front door however Eleanor stopped in her tracks when she saw the brand new black Jeep sitting on the drive. She turned round to her parents, wide eyed, hoping it was for her. "Happy birthday" Her parents beamed at her, Dean dangling the keys with a cheeky grin.

"Oh my god" She was on the verge of tears with gratitude. "Thank you so much!" She beamed and hugged them both tightly, being severely grateful.

"You're welcome Nora Bear" Laura spoke with a smile, happy they could make their little girl this ecstatic.

"You're driving us" Dean smirked and threw her the keys. "Try not to crash" He teased.

-

They found themselves a nice spot at the beach, having got there early enough to not fight off any other families. The sun was shining down, excitement lacing the air as children played and families created memories.

Eleanor had spent a good portion of the day so far surfing the morning waves by herself, her dad taking pictures from afar as she surfed, catching a few photos of her falling in the process.

The three of them all had lunch together, Dean having got out the disposable BBQ which was something he usually brought to the beach with them. Hotdogs, burgers, skewers and salad alongside snacks that Laura had prepared.

Once their stomachs had settled and they enjoyed their time in the sun, Eleanor began to beg her parents to join her in the water which didn't take much convincing, they were all for it. With that, the three of them went out to sea, racing one another, splashing each other with water and all round creating a positive environment and memories for life.

Eleanor had swum a little further away from her parents, teasing them to chase her, "Catch me if you can!" However when she resurfaced and settled her movements she realised her parents were nowhere to be seen. "Mom? Dad?" She called, assuming they were playing a prank on her and they would appear any second; however they didn't.