Chapter 5 - Tolerable

El returned to work the next day with treats in hand. She walked up the stairs and placed down the box of treats only to be met with Buck, a coy grin on his punchable yet handsome face "Thought you were fired?" El raised a brow at him.

"Nope" He smirked at her "You're stuck with me" He gave her a flirty smile before reaching over and grabbing one of the donuts "And I may give you less of a hard time if you keep this up" He spoke with his mouth half full as he gestured to the tray of sweet treats.

El rolled her eyes at him "I may give you less of a hard time if you stop being an asshole" She teased back, her tone half serious.

"So we both got things to improve on" Buck rebutted, using his charm.

"That we do" She tossed her brows at him with an almost genuine smile cracking through. She hated that his charm had this effect on her. She promised herself she wouldn't go for a guy like Buck again, she had already made that mistake once before. Out of the corner of her eyes, El spotted Chimney and Hen alongside Bobby hiding behind the kitchen counter, not wanting to be in the fire range of any potential arguments or insults the pair would be throwing around. "You guys want some donuts or what?" She laughed to which the trio began to murmur.

"Oh here it is Cap" Hen spoke as she popped up into view holding a wooden spoon.

"Why thank you Hen, I couldn't have done it without you" Bobby spoke.

"Or me" Chimney popped up now too, being his usual sarcastic self.

El and Buck merely laughed at their team's attempt at lying and sat themselves down "So what did I miss?"

-

After a fair amount of coaching from Bobby, El and Buck had managed to go a few weeks without being at eachothers throats, if anything they were starting to become friends. It was another 24 hour shift and evening struck which meant the drunks and criminals were likely wandering the streets of LA however tonight was a little different.

They were rushed out to the local fair due to a ride malfunction. One of the rides had been halted with the passengers upside down on a loop, one man hanging on for dear life, another sadly dead at the bottom, likely dead on impact. It was rough.

While Buck headed to the top of the ride, El assisted Hen and Chim with the man on the ground. This was the first time she was having to fake a survival for the well being of others. She shared a concerned look with the dynamic duo who merely shrugged. They knew the deal and she was about to learn it.

The trio did as they would if the patient was alive and took him to the ambulance, keeping his head in view with an oxygen mask on his face. It made El feel uneasy but she knew it was for the good of everyone around. The three of them were now helpless, all they could do was sit and watch Buck in anticipation; not that any of them doubted him of course.

Everything slowed as the man fell from the rollercoaster, his body just falling. El covered her mouth, shock rupturing through her body as she saw the man ricochet from the ride below, the sounds of his bones cracking and breaking filling the air.

It was rough from then on. Crowds of people somehow desperate to take a look at a man who had just died, cameras flashing. It was mortifying. El could only think back to the dreaded day of her parents passing, somewhat glad social media and phones weren't as accessible.

-

Buck was quiet when they arrived back at the firehouse, which was both a surprise and not. El sat next to him while Bobby and Chim worked on cooking up dinner, despite the fact that none of them really had the stomach for it after what had just occurred. This was the first loss for both Buck and El, but it was far more personal for Buck, he faced a man in his final moments. Imagining that was hard enough.