Chapter 75 - Die First

It was all hands on deck the following day at work. News had spread fast that the LAFD were being targeted by a seemingly well trained sniper. "This is something we haven't faced before" Bobby began to say as both A and B team gathered by the couches in the firehouse. "I know it's scary-the idea that someone is targeting us. But, we still have a job to do. We're just gonna have to do it a little differently now. LAPD are putting more officers out on the street but resources are still limited"

"That's great Cap, but we're still sitting ducks," Chimney responded.

"Well...not entirely" He spoke and held up a bulletproof vest with the words LAFD on them.

"What about our families? Are they in danger too?" Hen asked, concerned for her son and wife but also her sick mother.

"We have no reason to think that," Bobby confirmed.

"We had no reason to think Eddie would get shot helping a kid either" Buck spoke through gritted teeth. El took a breath and placed her hand on his shoulder in a comforting manner. Eddie was on a ventilator, the only positives being that his vitals seemed good and the surgery went well.

"Look, if we had the resources to put an officer at every door, I would do that but we don't. Until they catch this guy...this is gonna be a stressful time. Not just for us, but for the people who love us." Bobby continued on, those words causing El and Buck to look at one another for a brief moment, "And as scared as we are, it's gonna be worse for them. They're the ones who have to watch us go to work and worry we might not make it back home. We'll lean on them, we'll lean on each other and that's how we make it through this."

"How do we know this guy's still out there? With all these new precautions, what if he just gave up?" Ravi, aka probie, asked.

"We can't let our guard down," Bobby shook his head.

-

Work was definitely odd. The team felt completely off without Eddie being around and obviously the mood was extremely low, even Chimney not uttering a single sarcastic comment. At every call, SWAT was there, protecting them with thick shields despite them having vests on. Patients and victims were scared whenever they arrived, wondering if they would be shot at during their time of need. Everything was different, particularly Buck, which El was struggling with.

"Williams, Andrews, you're with us" Bobby spoke as they arrived on scene.

"What's going on?! We didn't ask for cops! Our buddy's hurt!" One of the construction men yelled to them as he came from the trailer.

"Gentleman, the police are here just as a precaution" Bobby reassured them.

"The sniper," His friend said to him.

"You've got a man pinned by a cable up there?" Bobby asked.

"Don't know how the hell the cable came unseated, but it's got that on the end of it. There's at least a couple thousand pounds of pressure on his arm. You can see it on the feed."

"Alright, take us there" Bobby nodded to the man, the team following suit however El felt as a hand wrapped around her arm.

El turned around to see Mikey in front of her, "Hey..." She spoke softly, the pair having not spoke since after breakfast a few weeks ago. They had a huge falling out, Mikey feeling as though she didn't trust her. He had opened up about his whole life to her yet she didn't do the same for him; but she told Buck. It was a stab to the chest. Knowing his best friend didn't trust him in the way he once thought.

"I'm sorry" He spoke and merely pulled her in for a tight hug. El wrapped her arms around him, hugging him as tightly as she could.

"I'm sorry too..." Her voice muffled into his shoulder.