Chapter 40 - Christmas Spirit

"I thought we got over your hate for Christmas last year?" Buck asked as they sat in the truck heading to their next scene.

"You forcing me to wear a hat was not getting over it" El rebutted with a coy smirk, rolling her eyes.

"I would argue, you hated Christmas a little less last year" Buck rebutted with a grin.

"For about 5 minutes, yes" El rolled her eyes with a laugh as they pulled up the scene. El grabbed the med kit from the side of the truck as they made their way over to Santa, who had been pepper sprayed by a crazy shopper. "You see, another reason to hate Christmas" El said to Buck as she rummaged through the bag and handed Bobby what he needed.

"Sir, this burning is gonna go away. It's just gonna take a couple hours."

"Long before you, you need to be back in the North pole." Buck gave a little chuckle.

"Is Santa Claus gonna die?" One of the kids asked.

"Oh, hey. No, no, no. of course not, and don't you worry" Buck spoke as he knelt down to their level. "He's not really Santa" Buck smiled.

El slammed her hand against her face, he was such an idiot.

"He's not real?" A little girl began to cry.

"No sweetie. He's just pretend." Buck spoke, not realising yet what he had just done.

"Santa's pretend?" The boy now began to cry.

"That's right!" Buck smiled, as if congratulating the child.

"Buck, Buck, Buck" Bobby repeated.

"Oh, don't ruin it Cap, this is getting interesting" El laughed a little to herself.

"Did you just tell my kid Santa isn't real?" An angered mother came over.

"Uh..no" Buck spoke, looking for help from his two fellow colleagues who looked away as if they weren't there. "I was-I was just explaining that this Santa isn't Santa." Buck dug himself a bigger hole, the children beginning to cry more.

As they headed back to the truck, El could finally release her laughter which had been building the entire time Buck was attempting to dig himself out of the hole he had created. "I think..." She laughed, "I think maybe I like Christmas a little more now" She cackled.

"You're unbearable" Buck rolled his eyes.

"You call me scrooge, but you just ruined Christmas for a bunch of kids" E laughed, "Point, Rhodes" El grinned as she got into the truck.

-

"Hey Buck, Can I spend Christmas with you and Aunt Ellie?" Chris asked Buck as they sat on the floor round Eddie's house.

"I'm sorry buddy but we're working on christmas with your dad." Buck spoke solemnly as he looked at Christopher. He didn't know that he and El weren't exactly together anymore, he would still call them Aunt and Uncle regardless.

"Stupid work" Chris spat angrily.

Buck took a deep breath before walking over to Eddie and Hen who were sitting at the dining table drinking coffee. "Is it just me or does Christmas suck this year?"

"Definitely not just you" Eddie commented as he sipped his hot drink.

"It's been a rough year for everyone...Maybe it's time you fix things with El?" Hen spoke, raising a brow at Buck in a somewhat sassy manner.

"How am I meant to do that?" Buck questioned, tilting his head.

"Buy her something nice, or thoughtful...do a big gesture" Hen reeled off a few things, not entirely sure what would be the best.