Chapter 27 - Eleanor Begins (Part 2)

It had been a few weeks since the passing of her parents and Eleanor was in no way shape or form functioning after the events that took place on the beach. Fellow work colleagues of her parents had given their condolences, dropping baked goods and flowers to the house. The pile just grew more and more on the front step as Eleanor didn't venture outside of the comfort of her bed.

One day, it was hard to tell when exactly it was, there was a frantic knock at the door. El merely ignored it at first, not wanting to talk to anyone; however the knocking continued and began to irritate her. She stormed across the bungalow and swung open the front door to see someone dressed in a flattering black two piece suit with a soft expression on her face.

"Eleanor Rhodes?" The young woman asked.

"Yeah...and you are?" Eleanor asked, not recognising the women.

"My name is Daphne Johnson, is now a good time to talk?" She asked, trying to ensure that she didn't come across like she was trying to sell anything.

"About what?" El cocked a brow, confused as to why someone young and well dressed was standing at her door. Daphne was a complete juxtaposition of Eleanor at this current moment in time.

Daphne smiled softly "Right, sorry. I should have led with that" She began "I am a recently qualified attorney and I read about your story in the paper. I just wanted to reach out to offer condolences and perhaps, some legal advice if you needed any." Daphne concluded.

Thank you..." El nodded, a little smile on her face, "Why don't we talk some more over coffee?" El asked, opening the door for her.

Daphne nodded "That sounds perfect." She said as she walked through the open door and slipped off her shoes at the entrance.

El led her through the still immaculate house and down to the kitchen. "Hot or Iced?" She asked holding the already brew pot of black caffeinated tar.

"Iced would be perfect, thank you, Eleanor" Daphne responded.

El did just that, she grabbed two glasses, filling them with ice from the machine before pouring the coffee over the top. She grabbed some creamer from the fridge and placed it on the side for Daphne to use at her own discretion after finishing off her own. She sat herself down the bar stool to the breakfast bar and took a sip, "So, why do you think I need legal advice?" El asked.

Daphne took the drink gratefully and took a sip of the beverage.

"Well, as I mentioned, I read your story in the paper so if possible - I know this is probably impossible to talk about, but I really need to hear what happened from your point of view." Daphne began "But based on what I already know, I think you may have a strong case in negligence" She said with a soft smile.

"Well...it's all a bit of a blur" El spoke, a lump already starting to build in her throat. "I was out in the water with my parents, nothing out of the ordinary. I swam away, wanting to race them but when I turned back they were gone. I checked the beach, I checked where we were before going to the LifeGuard tower." El took a moment to remember some of the things he had said to her, "He called me all sorts of things, said that my parents just wanted nothing to do with me, that they left. Well, I then saw my dad in the water and rushed out to help...when we got to shore I saw he was impaled and my mother was unconscious. The life guards came over but...they tended to my mother and left my father, it was only when the RA arrived that my father was tended too...they were both pronounced dead on scene" El concluded, a small tear escaping, falling down her cheek.

Daphne listened to her intently, taking out a notebook and an expensive pen to take down a few bullet points of the story El was telling her. "I am so sorry, Eleanor. That sounds absolutely horrific." Daphne said softly, looking up at the girl and placing a hand over hers "Now, I can't bring your parents back - but I can help you get a little bit of closure. Have you got any idea how much compensation you're owed for a claim like this?" Daphne asked.