Chapter 68 - Crash and Burn

It was all hands on deck as a large multiple car pile up was reported to dispatch. The 118 were first on sight, making Bobby incident commander. "Make sure everybody stays back until the cars have been de-energised and all the airbags have been checked." Bobby's voice sounded over the radio as the pain team attempted to get into the culprit's vehicle.

"You sure there's anybody left in there to save" Athena spoke as she approached with Bobby.

"No verbal response. Can't see past the side airbags. But we picked up a heat signature" Eddie spoke.

"Definitely a live occupant in the front. Smaller heat signature in the back" El confirmed having been put in charge of the thermal camera.

"Dispatch says they got a call from the driver's son, Jacob" Athena spoke.

"The kid's still in the car?" Chimney asked in a shocked manner.

"Go! Go! Jaws." Bobby yelled, El instantly running to get the jaws from the engine, leaving the boys to attempt using just their brute strength.

"I got 'em!" El yelled as she approached back.

"El, get in there!" Bobby ordered to which she followed. She slammed the jaws into one of the open gaps of the car. The jaws began to whirl and she was slowly able to see the driver.

"I have a visual" She called out, continuing on with the jaws. After trying even more it was obvious where the problem was, "The roof is bent too far inwards! I can't pull her out." El confirmed.

"Let's cut the whole top off" Eddie called.

"Let's get the saws! All of em, Let's go!" Bobby agreed, yelling commands.

Everyone rushed to the engine to grab the saws before making their way back to begin taking off the roof. It didn't take them long to saw through the severely dented and battered car. "OKay, nice and easy. On three. One, two, three" Bobby called out, everyone on their own side of the car ready to hoist up the roof. Smoothly, they all were able to pick up the roof and move it to the side with the help of a few extra hands.

"I've got eyes on the boy," Hen called out. "He's still breathing"

"Alright, Buck, get that Halligan." Booby confirmed.

Buck busted the door open, "It's a miracle she's in one piece. The car's hugging her like a glove"

"Okay Chim" Bobby confirmed.

Chimney climbed up and peered over to take a look at Jacob, "Okay. Young male victim. Possible vertebrae break. Eddie, get me a neck brace."

"Pulse is steady. Multiple lacerations. Airbag burn." Hen confirmed as she looked at the driver.

"What ha-happened?" The driver spoke in a weak voice.

"You think her slurred speech is a symptom of her injuries?" Athena asked, in a detective like manner.

"Can't be too sure yet" Hen confirmed.

"Dispatch says she was acting odd before the crash too" Athena spoke.

"Chim, how's that kid looking?" Bobby asked.

"Upper vertebra seems intact but his systolic blood pressure is skyrocketing - Could be a TBI. Probably best to transport him in the seat" Chimney confirmed.

"Alright make it safe and get him out" Bobby confirmed.

"Jacob," The mother spoke.

"Jacob is still in the backseat. We're working on getting him out" Buck confirmed to the mother, El by his side.