Chapter 36 - Downfall

Eddie wasn't in the best frame of mind at the moment however he knew he wanted to help as much as he could with getting El back to work. He headed over to Daphne with a warm look.

Daphne stood to greet him, extending her hand "Mr. Diaz, my name is Daphne Johnson. I'm Miss Rhodes' attorney."

"Pleasure to meet you" He spoke and shook her hand before taking a seat.

"Mr. Diaz, are you comfortable with me recording our conversation? It won't be used unless this matter reaches court but I am confident it won't come to that." Daphne explained to which Eddie just nodded.

"Perfect." Daphne said, pressing record. "Mr. Diaz, how long have you known Eleanor Rhodes?" She asked.

"Just over a year" Eddie confirmed, "She was here when I first joined the force"

"Am I right in assuming the two of you are good friends?" She asked.

Eddie let a little smile appear on his features, "Yeah...her and Buck are my best friends, they look after my son, Christopher, El saved his life when the Tsunami happened. I will always be in her debt"

Daphne grimaced ever so slightly at the mention of Buck. "That is really lovely to hear." She began "and thinking from a work point of view, how would you describe her?" She asked.

"Stubborn" Eddie chuckled, "But she's kind, puts others before her, doesn't ask for anything, very independent, a good laugh too" Eddie smiled, thinking about some of the good times they had had together.

"So it's fair to assume you think she is good at her job?" Daphne asked.

"Very good, she passed top of her class, same as me, we had a running friendly feud about it for a while" Eddie chuckled.

Daphne nodded slowly with a smile "Mr. Diaz" She said, leaning over slightly to pause the recording "The next few questions are extremely personal.. about a recent incarceration." She began "But, I don't want to put you on the spot or make you feel like you have to tell me anything if you aren't comfortable. Everything here today is strictly confidential, I'm not trying to ambush you - I just want to help my friend." She said with a genuine smile.

Eddie watched closely as she paused the recording, Eddie had feeling he knew what she was talking about however he couldn't be sure. "Look, I want to do what I can to get El back to work, she gave me a brief overview as to why, I just know it's her past and mental capacity to work, I'll throw myself under the bus if it means getting her back here..." Eddie confirmed.

Daphne nodded "I completely understand, but you don't need to throw yourself under anything" She began "As I said, this shouldn't reach court stage" Daphne continued "But the last thing I want is to put you under any unnecessary pressure. El said you've been through a lot and I guess you seem like one of the good ones." she shrugged.

"Are you flirting with me Miss Johnson?" He asked in a playful tone, his smile coy. "But yes, we can continue..."

Daphne chuckled at his comment but chose not to respond "Perfect." She said, restarting the recording. "Mr. Diaz, after your recent night in a cell - did you have to disclose this to work?" She asked.

"I did not, I called one of my coworkers to bail me out, I would have called El but given the recent situation, I thought it was best not to involve her" He confirmed.

Daphne nodded as he spoke "So even though the circumstances of the event could be regarded as 'mental health fueled', based on your past and the recent passing of your wife.. you still did not tell them and still worked as normal?" She asked.

"That would be correct yes" Eddie gulped, somewhat wondering how this linked to El but it wasn't his business. He had seen first hand her anxiety at play however it was only something he had seen once on scene.