Chapter 78 - Discharged

Later that morning Dr Barr came by to give El her discharge letter alongside follow up appointments and her medication. He said his goodbyes as the nurses came in to prep El for full discharge. "I'm just going to start by removing the cannula, then we will move onto the tube and then the staples okay?" The nurse said to El.

"Okay" El nodded, looking over at Eddie with worried eyes.

"You got this" He mouthed before smiling at her.

The nurse removed the cannula, the most painful part being the tape attached to the baby hairs on her hand however she could already tell it was going to bruise like a bitch. The bed began to rise and the carefully laid El back on the bed. El closed her eyes and took a deep breath like they had asked before breathing out on command, the sensation being beyond odd. She felt as the tube was dragged out of the small incision. She almost felt as if she was choking. It was a feeling that was hard to describe. She was tense for a little while, her hands having clutched the side of the bed at the odd sensation that had run through her body. "Wasn't a fan of that..." She shook her head, speaking in a sarcastic tone. Eddie muffled a laugh, glad to see that El wasn't affected by it too negatively; all things considered.

"Wow" The nurse spoke as she examined El's neck closer, "You have got to be a super healer because my my...you've started to heal around the staples" She spoke in a shocked yet impressed tone. "This may prove a little harder than expected but we will get it done"

Eddie got up from his seat to have a look. He leant over El before taking a closer look, "She's right, that one there is going to be difficult" He spoke to the nurse pointing to the one on the outer left side, it almost completely submerged into the skin.

"Do you want to try?" The nurse asked, handing him the instrument used for removing the staples.

Eddie looked at the nurse and then back down at El. "Don't look at me like that" El tossed a brow, "Just another thing to add to the list of things you've done"

"Okay" Eddie raised his hands in defence before cleaning his hands and putting on some gloves. "I'll start on the right side, probably easier" He confirmed, "You ready El?"

"Do it before I change my mind" She teased playfully before closing her eyes, allowing Eddie to start taking the staples out. Eddie had a gentle way about him and him taking the staples out was no exception. He was careful, precise and steady handed. The nurses tensed slightly when he got to the final staple however with his masculine strength and practically perfected technique, after a small struggle, the final staple was released.

"And we're done," Eddie chuckled, smiling down at El.

They put on the steri strips and it was time for El to leave. Eddie helped her to the bathroom, handing her one of Bucks jumpers that had been left at his during his recent stay when he was looking after Christopher. Carefully, she changed into the hoodie and put on the soft shorts she had on the day of surgery and headed back out, her legs feeling oddly numb, as if they weren't attached to her body.

Eddie was standing right outside, ready to be there if she needed him to be. El rested her hand upon Eddie's shoulder as she tried to hold herself up. Eddie's arms gently snaked around her, "I got you" He spoke gently.

"This is embarrassing" She groaned, allowing him to hold her up, seeing as the blood was finally getting to her legs properly.

"It's not. You've been bedridden for 2 days, no one is expecting you to run a marathon" Eddie chuckled softly.

"I don't even want to think about running" She shook her head with a little laugh, her voice still slightly hoarse. Eddie chuckled as she slowly released herself from his grasp, allowing herself to stand on her own two feet. She took a deep breath and calmed herself, "Okay...let's get out of here"