Chapter 18 - Moving Day

"Officer Andrews." Bobby greeted Mikey as they arrived on scene.

"Captain, mister personality over here started coughing, clutched his side and fell over. Could be appendicitis, I'm not sure." He said bringing Bobby up to speed on the situation.

El stood beside Mikey for a moment, watching as Bobby knelt down beside him "Military protest?" El whispered to Mikey.

"Yeah, awful people, the lot of them" Mikey responded.

"I'm just gonna examine you for a second here." Bobby spoke as he lifted the man's shirt and saw a colostomy bag attached to his abdomen. "Oh okay, we got a colostomy bag probably backing up. Gonna have to intubate him. Sir just try to relax and these paramedics here are gonna tend to you."

Hen and Chimney knelt down ready to begin their work but the man caught one glimpse of them and spoke against it, "Oh hell no..You do it." He said towards Bobby.

"Sir, I am not a trained paramedic. I can't intubate you, they can."

The man insisted he was fine.

"Sir you're not fine. Your bowels are probably obstructed. The contents of your colostomy bag are backing up into your system. You're about to choke on your own waste. You will suffocate and die." Chimney tried to persuade the man into allowing them to help him, despite the man's lack of human respect.

"Get away."

"Sir, if you refuse care we cannot administer it by force." Bobby retorted.

"What about him?" The man spoke, pointing to Eddie.

"Diaz," Bobby spoke.

"Diaz." The man repeated, "What kinda name is that?"

"My fathers from Mexico. My mother's Swedish. I can help you out with the Swedish half. But no one told me which half that was." Eddie responded, not partially wanting to help the guy. The patient shook his head.

Mikey spoke up, "Okay, would you like me to call you another paramedic team so you can have an all white one?" Clearly he was beyond fed up with the bigotry and racism.

The man simply nodded but started to choke even more.

"He's gonna aspirate." Hen said, noticing the man was about to choke.

Then the man did exactly that.

"And.. he's aspirating." She continued, shaking her head.

"Actual diarrhoea of the mouth, outstanding." Chimney butted in, wafting the stench away from his nose.

"Okay guys let's get to work." Hen spoke.

They did just that, despite the man's clear racism and sexism, maybe this would change his mind, that's well El somewhat hoped at least.

-

After the man was taken care of and taken in the ambulance, Mikey and El walked through the gates to head on back to work.

"Well done!" Maddie spoke out, gaining the attention of Buck.

Buck immediately walked over, "Hey, Your ride along was today." He wrapped her into a hug and turned to the others.

"Cap, This is my sister. Maddie." He introduced her with a smile on his face.

El couldn't help but smirk at how visibly nervous Mikey was to be in the presence of Maddie once again. She rolled her eyes and dragged him over.

"It's great to finally meet you." Bobby replied to Maddie.

"You too. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about you." Maddie smiled, nodding her head. She glanced towards Mikey, "And nice to see you two again."