Chapter 76 - Surgery

AN- While writing this I lowkey released I was so tired from the first op, i don't remember much 🤣 also in the mood board is a picture of my neck from my second operation if you're interested to know what it looks like. ❤️

-

El's surgery date was fast approaching. Everyone had now somewhat recovered from their bullet wounds and were back to work. Of course they all celebrated the return of their fellow co-workers but as quickly as they were celebrating they were saying a quick goodbye to El, thinking that she was merely travelling back to Florida for some personal matters. Buck definitely felt like he was being left in the dark as she was being rather closed off about the situation, not really saying too much but of course, he trusted her with everything. He knew it was nothing to do with their relationship so he was fine with that.

The day of the surgery, El had to be there at 7:30am, having had no food for 12 hours and no caffeine either. When she arrived at the hospital her anxiety continued to rise, never having had an operation before. She didn't know what to expect. Once she arrived she was handed her gown alongside some paperwork to fill out. Once she was changed into the awful gown she sat herself down and began to fill out all the relevant information however when it came to Next of Kin and Emergency contact she had no idea who to put. She merely ignored it and continued filling out the rest of the paperwork and awaited one of the nurses to come by. "Hey, we all done with that?" The sweet nurse asked.

"Yeah, I think so" El nodded and handed her the paperwork back.

"Oh, I can see here you don't have a next of kin or emergency contact written down" She spoke, looking at El with a kind look.

"I erm, don't have any family" She spoke, gulping.

"It doesn't have to be anyone blood related, just someone we can call in case of emergency" She confirmed handing her back the paperwork.

El nodded meekly and stared at it, the words ingraining into her brain. She took a breath and wrote down Eddie Diaz with his number followed. She knew that just in case, Buck couldn't be the one to deal with it first, it could break him or their relationship. She knew she couldn't let him hear that from a stranger. After finishing that off the nurse exited and in came the surgeon to discuss finer details and get her consent for the operation.

"Miss Rhodes" Dr Barr spoke sitting himself across from her, "How are you feeling?"

"Nervous...I guess. This will be my first operation" She confirmed to him with a small nod.

"Well, I can assure you, you are in safe hands. I have an amazing team with me." He confirmed, "So, I'm here to go over the operation with you, get your consent and make sure you understand what is going to happen"

"Okay"

"So, we will be doing a full thyroidectomy per your request rather than a half and risking extra surgery. We will also be doing a full neck dissection to remove any and all lymph nodes that reside in your neck. We will only be going in via the front section of your neck as i prefer to avoid going in at the sides." He spoke, gesturing to his neck. "We will also be putting in a drain which is a tube around an inch above the entrance wound to collect any blood in order to avoid infection or any further issues. Depending on how much blood is collected will decide how long you are in here for. Then, before you go, we take some blood, remove the tube and the staples from the wound itself. Add some steri strips and you will be sent on your way for at home recovery" He concluded, "Everything make sense?"

"As much sense as it can" El chuckled a little, "Where do I sign?" She asked.

Dr Barr handed her the consent form which outlines several things that could go wrong during the operation and summed up everything he said in fewer words. El signed at the bottom and that was that. "Okay, a nurse will be here to collect you shortly and we can start," Dr Barr said.