Chapter 72 - Treasure Hunt

After being forced to do a few sessions with the therapist, El was able to return to work, still having no news about her recent biopsy; no news was good news...right? With all that being said and done, El was back to work, continuing on as if nothing had happened. Almost as soon as their shift started the team were sent out on a search and rescue mission.

They arrived on scene, met with the scorching heat and 8'000 acres of land. El pulled on her slick ray bands before being met with the heat. "8 '000 acres to search. We could be waiting a while" Chimney commented.

"Are they sure someone's up there?" Buck questioned. "The bottle could have been floating around for months."

"Which would mean our search and rescue may become a search and recovery" El responded.

"Note was written on a receipt. Rangers checked the date. It was five days ago." Bobby confirmed.

"Sure hope it wasn't their last meal" Eddie shook his head.

After waiting a little while it came clear that they wanted to use the 118 to their advantage. The helicopter landed nearby, ready to take 2 of them on board. "Okay, El, Eddie, gear up. You're going with them" Bobby yelled over the sound of the thrashing blades.

"Copy that" El smirked and turned to Eddie.

"You can harness up and we'll lower you down so you can grab him?" Eddie asked, looking at El, not bothered either way.

"You can have this one" El smirked at him, giving him a fist bump before he rushed off. El's attention turned to Buck who was standing there with a sadden look on his face, "Cheer up babe, you can go next time" She smirked and kissed him on the cheek.

Once the pair were all geared up the duo headed to the helicopter and hopped in. "Okay, the first quadrant is right over that ridge. Head up to devils point. A lot of hikers get stuck up there." Bobby instructed.

"Copy that Cap" El spoke looking around, "Pretty sure there's a river too. It could be where they threw the bottle in"

"Hey, I think I see something" Eddie spoke, nudging El to gain her attention. El followed his line of sight and soon enough saw the green tent alongside a person yelling for help, signalling to the helicopter.

"Okay, we got him," El spoke through the radio. "Let's get in a hover position right here." She instructed.

"Likely extreme dehydration" Eddie confirmed as they looked down at the man.

"Well then he's gonna need this" El spoke and handed him a bottle of water and electrolytes to take down to the man. "You ready?"

"Piece of cake" Eddie rebutted with a smile.

"You've left me with the controls, I wouldn't say that" El laughed and began to lower him down towards the victim.

Eddie reached the bottom and it was all silent for a short while until Eddie spoke, "El, prep liquids, our guys gonna need it"

With that, El quickly prepped the fluids and awaited the signal to pull him up which followed only moments later. Once El was able to get the cannula into his hands and start pumping the fluids through they headed back to base.

They landed back and instantly the team on the ground came rushing over with a gurney. "Careful! He's kinda delirious. Been out there awhile" El yelled over the sounds of the blades once the doors were open.

"Said he injured himself three days ago" Eddie yelled as they handed him over.

"I'm fine. I just want to know when I can get back up there." The man protested.