Chapter 3: Crossed Wands

"Olive! I was hoping to catch you!" Lucan Brattleby called out to me from across the Transfiguration courtyard one random Tuesday morning.

"Oh, hi, Lucan. How was your summer?" I asked the little dark curly haired entrepreneur.

"It was lovely! Thank you for asking! Look, I've been meaning to catch up with you because I'm running Crossed Wands again and it just wouldn't be the same without my reigning champion competing again. What do you say? The tournament is on Friday night after dinner." Lucan proposed.

"Oh... Lucan, I don't know. It's not really my place, it's Sebastian's, and-"

"Ah-ah-ah!" Lucan interrupted me with a finger pressed to my lip. "It's my club and if Sebastian is causing my champion issues, I'll be more than happy to have a chat with him if I need to."

I couldn't help but laugh a little at Lucan's unwavering confidence.

"No, that won't be necessary. I'll be there, Lucan," I assured him.

"Excellent! I'll book you on the cards. I anticipate you'll be our new favourite to win the tournament this year after last year's efforts. You're definitely not the underdog now!"

I laughed again at Lucan, I always adored his passion for the duelling club and general positive attitude. He really did perk my mood up whenever I spoke to him.

I went through the rest of the week as normal, going for my now weekly sunrise walk with Garreth and listening to Imelda complain about my tossing and turning during the nights. But could she blame me? I had barely slept a moment in my life since I witnessed Professor Fig's death and still blamed myself for it. Of course I wouldn't be able to sleep, the dreams were too vivid. And why would I give Sebastian those potions when I could very well use them myself?

On the plus side, Sebastian had now left me alone and hadn't asked about the possibility of me brewing them for him again. Ominis hadn't given me any midnight wake up calls either, so I had to assume he'd come up with some other sort of solution that didn't include me.

Friday night rolled around and though I'd been so relaxed all week, it finally hit me I'd be duelling again. I hadn't been in a combative scenario in months. How could I be expected to even compete let alone be the favourite?

I headed down to the clock tower with an empty and rumbling stomach, unable to bring myself to eat anything at all with the nerves bubbling away inside of me. Lucan was at the door, greeting every entrant, sending spectators one way and competitors the other. I followed the red head of Leander just outside under the clock where we were waiting outside in the cool while Lucan had everyone take their places. I peered back inside to see students piled against the walls and up a level higher, leaning over the balustrades. It was packed. I was suddenly incredibly nervous. More than I was before. I could have sworn last year was more of a casual affair than this.

Leander, for some unknown reason, thought it would be wise to bail me up and give me tips... as if I needed them from him. I don't know if this was a power trip, or an attempt at a flirt but Leander could never read the room.

"You know, I've become quite partial to Levioso myself, it always takes them by surprise," He casually explained, using his hands to emphasise that he was deadly serious and as if we hadn't both been told this exact information last year.

I stifled a laugh and attempted to keep a straight face though I raised an eyebrow at him, but I completely failed to hold it in any longer when I heard the sound of Sebastian's laughter from my left.

"Are you serious, Prewett?" He said, pretending to wipe a tear from the corner of his eye.

"What, Sallow? What's your advice for Raywood then? Blow up her opponents with a Bombarda? I suppose she is a Slytherin too..." Leander smirked, though I could see he was hoping to get a few chuckles from his comments but it fell completely flat.