Chapter 58: New York

"Sebastian!"

That voice. It rang through my ears and brought tears to my eyes.

"Hey, Omi."

Sebastian pulled his best friend up from his chair and yanked him firmly into his arms. Ominis never was one for loads of physical touch, but I could tell the two of them deeply missed each other and this hug let all their feelings about it known.

Ominis buried his nose into Sebastian's shoulder as Sebastian pressed his cheek into Ominis', the two of them letting out a deep breath simultaneously.

As they pulled away, I swore I saw them both wipe a tear with a knuckle, but I couldn't be certain.

"And where's my favourite Sallow?" Ominis said with a wide grin.

"Oh, she's right here." I said with a smirk, barging Sebastian out of the way with my elbow to embrace Ominis myself.

"Hey! She wouldn't even be a Sallow if it wasn't for me!" Sebastian cried out, trying to defend himself with outstretched arms, which both of us ignored.

"Yes and how unfortunate that she willingly chose to be." Ominis rolled his eyes. "How are you, darling?"

"I've never been better. We've missed you so much." I said as I pulled Ominis into my arms.

The three of us sat down in a small pub in the bustling streets of New York City. Ominis told us he'd been offered an apartment, one close enough to the MACUSA building, but far enough away to be quiet.

"So, what are you two doing?" Ominis asked as our Butterbeers were placed in front of us.

"Well, we've decided to stay in New York for a little while. Maybe a couple of years." Sebastian explained.

"Oh? Will you also work for MACUSA?" Ominis asked.

"Yes. Given our circumstances, Olive and I actually both performed well in our exams so we have quite the choice actually. You know, Olive even topped my score in Ancient Runes." Sebastian said.

"She did, did she?" Ominis said with a smirk in my direction, "I'm not surprised."

I had in fact beaten Sebastian. It wasn't that he failed so much he stooped to my level... no, he performed so well and I absolutely shocked myself and performed even better.

When I got the results for my exams, Sebastian could have been mad. He could have gotten jealous. But he wasn't. He beamed and kissed me hard, making sure to breath his praises into my mouth as he did so.

How did you ever get so lucky?

Obviously your bed skills...

"She did. Must have had a good tutor." Sebastian winked in direction.

Ominis laughed heartily... that was something he normally would scoff and roll his eyes at. It was incredible to see Sebastian and Ominis together again, sharing laughs and stories like no time had passed.

"How was Durmstrang? As bad as they say?" Sebastian asked.

"Surprisingly, no. I expected Durmstrang to be a cold and harsh place, but it had its own unique charm," Ominis replied, "The focus on the Dark Arts was intense, but it did teach me a lot. And the professors were strict, but they were also fair in their own way. I really enjoyed the whole experience actually."

Sebastian smiled. We'd never seen Ominis so relaxed and with so much clarity in his life. It was clear Durmstrang really was the best choice for him as much as we wanted him at Ilvermorny with us.

"What about you two? Ilvermorny less chaotic than Hogwarts?" Ominis asked, a glint of hope in his eyes.

How would I tell Ominis that his best friend was manipulated and drugged and blackmailed all year and that I now had a reputation as a brawler?