Chapter 62: Rebelling

Sebastian was right, Harris was ten times more unbearable when I was sleep deprived. But I was sleep deprived because of him.

Our assignment was going to be long. We were waiting for a group of Dark Wizards to make a move first. We had leads they wereimporting illegal dragon eggs and I began to suspect they may have known we were on to them, because they ceased their activities for the longest time. And when we had nothing to do, Harris had us researching anything and everything he could twist into thinking was relevant to the case. And that had me staying up for hours hunched over my desk and thumbing through book after book well and truly after Sebastian had gone to bed. He'd occasionally wake up for work himself and find me still at that desk, sometimes still working and sometimes losing the battle and falling asleep with my face between the pages.

"This isn't right, you know?" Sebastian said one morning, gently pulling my head out of a book.

"Mm. But what can I do?" I mumbled, collapsing into his arms with my eyes still closed, letting his body take my whole weight.

"You can tell him to piss off and that you're going home to spend time with your husband and sleep and not work outside your normal hours. Or I could do that for you." Sebastian said with a sliver of anger throughout his voice.

"No, Sebastian. Let me handle it." I groaned, pulling myself up off the floor.

He exhaled deeply, showing his disapproval. But he knew he couldn't change my mind.

"How can you be expected to go out there and take out these Dark Wizards on no sleep? He's going to get you killed!"

"I know, Sebastian. I know." I said, rubbing my temples.

I had a headache.

He took me into our bathroom and threw me into a cool shower to try and jostle some sort of energy into me and when I dragged myself out and got dressed for the work day, he'd made me coffee.

"My fucking hero." I said, taking the mug and drinking it a lot faster than I should have before pouring some more and downing that too.

"Not too much." Sebastian said, confiscating the pot from my grasps.

We headed out to the MACUSA building together with me less than impressed by my slim coffee intake this morning and split, heading to our small teams.

Sebastian's tasks seemed a lot easier than mine. They were merely helping a group of curse-breakers track down a dark artifact, making sure their path was safe and intercepting any Dark Wizards along the way.

Once he was out of my sight, I sighed heavily. And so did a voice behind me.

"You as fucked as I am, Olive?"

I spun around to see Lawson looking just as awful as me.

"Yep. Did you find anything in what he prescribed for you to look over?" I asked, though I already knew the answer.

"Nope. All useless. He's doing this to test us, you know." Lawson said.

"I know. Sebastian is pissed. I've barely slept in weeks and when I do, it's face first into a book." I said with a yawn.

"Yeah, Ominis isn't impressed with me either."

"Ominis?" I said with a raised eyebrow.

"I've been hanging out with him a lot. He comes and sits with me sometimes at night when I have to go over some work. It is nice to have the company."

"Hah. Don't let Sebastian find out." I chuckled.

Lawson laughed right back, "I don't think he'd mind somehow."