Chapter 40: Gaunt Manor

"I'm here. Now tell me about Marvolo." I said before I'd even closed the door to the Room of Requirement behind me.

"Good evening to you too." Sebastian said with a roll of his eyes, "Can we at least talk first?"

"Is telling me about Marvolo not talking?"

"You know what I mean, Olive! I would like to talk to you. To apologise."

"I'm not the one who needs an apology from you."

Sebastian seemed to wince as I spoke, clearly unsure what he could do to make things better. Truthfully, I didn't know what he could do to make things better.

"I know. And I will apologise to Ominis. But not before the dinner. It's important everything goes smoothly."

"Why are we invited anyway? I thought Ominis hates his family."

"He does. But he hasn't cut them off. They have some grand dinner thing once a year and I was hoping they wouldn't this year. Ominis has always  invited Anne and I so he's not alone and to help him get through it. And, well she can't be there."

"I see. And he can't just say no?"

"It's not that simple, Olive. He does despise them but until he can leave Hogwarts and find a job to support himself, he still needs them. So he has to appease them."

"And Marvolo?"

Sebastian sighed and sat me down on the lounge.

"I've been going to these things for years now. I was 11 at my first one. My parents had just died. He was cold, calculating, and utterly cruel."

Sebastian's voice trembled slightly as he continued, his eyes distant as if he was reliving painful memories.

"I  don't know how but he knew of my parents and manipulated and controlled me, twisting my grief to his advantage. He always found ways to remind me of my parents' death to get me to do things he wanted. Even small things like get him a drink. I could have said no, I realise now they were empty threats but I was a stupid kid and I hated  anyone talking about my parents like that so I just did what he asked to get it to end. But the older I got the more I realised he knew too much about them. Things Ominis didn't even know, so it's not like he would have told him. It's suspicious, but I've just feigned ignorance. It has scared me and I still don't know how he knows these things. I had hoped I wouldn't have to see him again, particularly now Anne won't be there. I'm worried he's going to push me, test me."

"Do you think Marvolo knows about Anne and Ominis?" I asked.

"It's unlikely. They never really took that much of an interest in Ominis."

"I agree with you. It does sound suspicious. I'm sorry he made you feel that way." I said.

"Don't worry about it. What I am worried about though, is you. You'll need to dress up real fancy and-"

"Are you saying I'm not capable of dressing fancy?" I interrupted with a scowl.

"I- no. I think you definitely can even though I prefer you in your torn and tattered clothes covered in blood that isn't yours after wiping out a bunch of Dark Wizards..."

"That's disgusting, Sebastian!"

"Hey! I can't help that it's so fucking hot watching you do that. But anyway, as I was saying, I'll help you find something suitable to wear but, I'm worried you'll attract certain wandering eyes."

"So why am I going then?" I asked.

"Because I need you there." Sebastian said.

"Right... you don't make sense."