Chapter 34: Wishful Thinking

"Thank you for doing all of this." Sebastian whispered as we held each other to sleep in his bed.

His mood had shifted and just in time too because I was getting rather sick of his short fuse and constant bickering with Ominis.

"Of course. We're so close, Seb." I said, laying delicate kisses across his cheeks.

"I know. I hope it works. I miss Anne so much."

He closed his eyes and sighed hard, his arms wrapped around me squeezing harder.

"I love you." He reminded me with a soft whisper as he let himself drift off to a much needed sleep.

The plan was to see Anne on Monday afternoon. Tomorrow. Sebastian didn't want to wait. We would take what we needed with us and ask her permission. With the three of us on board, it should be a cinch to convince her.

Sebastian was awake well before both Ominis and I on Monday morning, gently probing me awake with a finger to my cheek. I blearily opened my eyes and as my vision came to, I noticed he was already fully dressed.

"Hello." I said, reciprocating the kiss he laid on my mouth.

"Hi. Get up."

"Sebastian! Don't be rude!" Ominis called from his own bed, clearly also awake.

"What? We need breakfast!" He said with a small chuckle, laying his whole body weight on top of me, kissing me again, "but I wouldn't mind eating you." He whispered into my ear.

"Shhh, Sebastian!" I whispered loudly, turning my head away and trying to scramble out from underneath him.

"You know, when you lose one sense your others become heightened and I can hear everything you're saying!" Ominis spat.

"Fuck. Nothing is sacred." Sebastian groaned as he rolled off the bed and allowed me to escape his grasps.

"Well, you aren't very discreet, Sebastian..." I said, sitting up to stretch.

"Your girlfriend is wise. Listen to her." Ominis said before moving out of bed himself.

Sebastian huffed and resigned to admit defeat to Ominis. I really was wise, after all.

There was a positive vibe in the air as we ate breakfast together. We laughed, we smiled and the two boys spoke about Anne and things she'd done at Hogwarts, presumably with the assumption she'd be rejoining us soon.

But I kept out of their conversation. While I was glad we had hope, the 'what if's' kept running through my head. What if I couldn't remove it? What if I did but it took her emotions? What if I did but it was so deeply attached to her, it killed her? The more I thought about it, the more scenarios I came up with and I was fucking terrified. If I was the reason she died, neither of them would ever forgive me.

My brain ran rampant all day, distracting me from all my classes which wasn't a good thing. I already struggled enough with Arithmancy and Anne's fate in my hands was not helping the cause.

Sebastian was in too much of his own bubble, filling his head with dreams of what he'd be able to do with his sister again once he had her back and that made me feel sick. I already felt like an outsider with the three of them. If I healed her, he'd surely forget about me. I felt like I was just in their little friendship group to fill the void caused by her absence.

"Are you ready?" Sebastian snapped me out of my daydream as apparently class had wrapped up and I hadn't even noticed.

"Oh, uh- yeah." I said, scooting out from the desk.

Sebastian had already collected what we needed and had them tucked into his robes, so all we had to do was get Ominis and head to St Mungos.

We met up with Ominis in the courtyard and made our way to St Mungos, Sebastian apparating with the both of us.