Chapter 31: Goblin Deals

Sebastian was late.

I wanted to be mad. But the look on his face paired with his messy hair and general malaise when he dragged himself into the common room was priceless and made my waiting worth it.

"Drank too much, huh?" I said with a chuckle.

"Shut up. Hopefully this walk helps my head." He groaned.

As he got closer, I realised his left cheek and eye were swollen and red, shades of purple beginning to peek through.

"What the fuck happened to your face? You didn't get in a fight, did you?" I asked, fighting every urge to reach out and touch it.

"I wish. That would be way less embarrassing."

"So?"

"I forgot your stairs were enchanted and it tossed me down on the way back. Must have smashed my face on the way down."

"Fuck, Seb! Did you go to Nurse Blainey? Surely she can give you something to bring it down."

"And what? Tell her I snuck into the girls dormitory? I'll be fine. I'd think it would be endearing to know the lengths I'd go to for you."

"Hm, though you never told me how you got up there in the first place."

"I'll tell you while we walk." He said.

To my surprise, he took my hand and laced our fingers together and led me out of the common room. I thought for sure he would still be mad at me.

"Where would you like to go?" He asked.

"Well, considering your tardiness, I suppose we could perform a break and enter on the Quidditch pitch again so we don't miss sunrise." I said.

"Perfect." He smiled and squeezed my hand gently.

The crisp winter air smacked me hard and I tried my best not to tense my whole body, but I didn't succeeded. Sebastian felt my trembling hand and clicked his tongue, sliding me under his arm for warmth.

"So are you going to tell me how you got to my dormitory now?" I asked, wrapping my arms around his waist.

"Well, I tried to walk up the stairs and it seemed to work but just as I got to the top, they turned to the slide. So I may have got Nerida to carry me up them."

"Nerida? Roberts? Who can't swim? She carried you up the stairs? You are joking with me, aren't you?" I scoffed in disbelief.

"I wish I was, Olive. I wish I was. That's actually how I got her to do it. Reminded her of the favour we did for her with that ridiculous mermaid thing."

I shook my head but couldn't help but laugh. Sebastian's antics were always entertaining at the very least.

We reached the gate to the Quidditch stands and I smirked. I wore pants today. No uplifting skirt incidents like last time... though now I'm certain it would probably be less embarrassing considering Sebastian has seen way more of me than just my bloomers.

"Ladies first." He said, giving me a boost over the tall fence.

I landed gracefully for once and waited for Sebastian to climb over it, though he seemed to have an easier time than I.

"Slytherin stand?" He asked.

"Why? Did you expect me to say Hufflepuff?" I retorted.

He narrowed his eyes at me, "I... shut up..."

I couldn't help the loud bout of laughter that escaped my mouth and he nudged me so hard he almost knocked me into the wall.

We started our climb and settled into the Slytherin stands, the cold wooden benches biting at our backsides despite the layers of clothing. The pre-dawn sky was beginning to lighten, painting the horizon with pretty hues of pink and orange.