Chapter 78: Reckless Sebastian

Every lead on Francesca ran dry.

She applied.

Got rejected.

She never worked for the Ministry.

So as much as Sebastian hated to admit it, Leander was right. And maybe it was just a coincidence. But it still had us no closer to finding out who was still accessing classified information.

It had been months and there were rumours the Minister of Magic, Faris Spavin, was looking to actually fire Leander because we still didn't know who was taking information out of the Ministry. I did feel a little sorry for him.

I'd been moved to a desk job as my pregnancy became more difficult to hide, though I was still working the same case. It just meant if any reason came up for field work, I would stay behind as much as I would have preferred to go with Sebastian anyway.

And now, eight months pregnant, I sat at my desk, sleepily going over the same paperwork again and again to make it look like I was doing something.

"Hey."

Sebastian brought me back from my day dream, sitting himself down in front of me.

"Hey. What brings you here?" I said with a yawn.

Sebastian had been working closer with the higher ups lately.

He threw me a tired smile. "Just thought I'd drop by and see how you're holding up. We're about to head out."

I leaned back in my chair, rubbing my swollen belly absentmindedly. "As well as can be expected, I suppose. But I'd much rather be out in the field with you."

"With that thing? I don't think so." He laughed, pointing at the large bulbous object protruding from me that very well could have it's own orbital pull now.

"That thing is your child." I scoffed.

Sebastian reached across the desk and gently placed his hand on my belly, feeling the subtle movements of our unborn child. "I know. And I can't wait to meet him or her. But for now, I need you to stay safe and take care of both of you."

I smiled, his touch bringing a comforting warmth to my heart. "I promise, I'm doing my best to keep both of us healthy."

"That's my girl." He leaned forward and planted a soft kiss on my forehead. "So, I actually came to tell you they've finally agreed to put in some security measures I suggested."

"Oh? You've actually been helpful?" I laughed.

"Shocking I know, but as a matter of fact, I have. I suggested the use of the Thief's Downfall, like they use at Gringotts to remove any spells or enchantments. I brought it up weeks ago in a meeting. Prewett brushed it off like he does with everything I suggest, but Spavin actually stepped in and decided we'd implement it." He said, almost proudly. If he wasn't so busy hunched over trying to play with my stomach, I'm certain he would have puffed out his chest.

"So what does that mean?" I asked.

Sebastian leaned back in his chair and linked his hands behind the back of his head. "It means every person who comes in needs to go through the waterfall. It will remove any charms, enchantments, potions... all of it. So yes, you'll have to go through it too."

"But my hair!" I exclaimed

Sebastian chuckled. "Don't worry, your hair will survive. There's dryers. Besides, I think you look even more beautiful with it slightly disheveled."

I rolled my eyes hard. "Alright, fine. I'll go through the Thief's Downfall, but only if you promise to be there with me."

"Deal," he said, leaning in to give me a soft kiss. "Anyway, have to go, just thought I'd pop in before I head out. I'll be home late again."