Chapter 64: Liberation

The hand-scrawled note Sebastian clutched in his hand led us to a very unassuming, standard looking house. We exchanged a glance, as if we were both asking each other if we'd come to the right place.

"Well, the address is correct." Sebastian said, his eyes moving back and forth between the paper and the mailbox.

"So, we just knock?" Ominis asked.

"I suppose we do. I'll do the honours." Sebastian said.

We followed him through the squeaky gate and through the garden, up a small flight of stairs before we were face-to-face with a large wooden door. Sebastian brought his hand up and tapped the knocker three times.

There was no answer.

Just as we were about to try again before giving up, we heard a click and a concerned looking older woman answered the door.

She nearly shut it in our face when she realised she had two Aurors and another MACUSA official standing in her doorway.

"Please. We believe you may be able to help us." Sebastian said softly so as to not startle her.

The woman's eyes darted between the three of us, her expression purely fear. Her hands remained firmly on the door, ready to close it at any moment.

Sebastian took a step forward, holding up his Auror badge. "I'm Auror Sebastian Sallow, this is Auror Olive Sallow and this is Ominis Gaunt, a MACUSA official," he began, gesturing to Ominis and I. "We have reason to believe that you might have information relevant to an ongoing investigation. May we please come in?"

She nodded, though her frail hands were shaking as she stepped aside and let us through.

The interior of the house was as unassuming as the exterior, filled with quaint antique furniture and the soft scent of lavender. She closed the door behind us, her eyes still filled with suspicion. "What do you want to know?" she finally asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"We were hoping you might know something about the whereabouts of Barnaby Harris." I said gently.

The woman already looked pale and gaunt, but whatever colour she had left in her had now drained.

"B...Barnaby? Why?"

Sebastian and I exchanged a worried glance. It was clear that the mention of Barnaby Harris had struck a chord with the woman. Her trembling hands clasped together and squeezed.

"He has gone missing, ma'am. And he may have information relating to a case we are currently trying to solve." Sebastian explained, "You wouldn't happen to know anything, would you?"

The woman's eyes glistened with fear, concern, and sadness. She looked down at the floor for a moment as if collecting her thoughts before she finally spoke.

"Barnaby... he's... he's my son. He's an Auror... what happened to him? Is he hurt?"

Sebastian's expression changed and he flicked me a quick concerned eye as he realised the connection between the woman and Barnaby. "Ma'am, we're doing everything we can to locate him. We don't have all the details yet, but it's imperative that we find him as soon as possible."

The woman's eyes welled up with tears, and she took a deep, shaky breath. "He hasn't been home in weeks. I've been worried sick. He's a good Auror, always so dedicated to his work."

A good Auror...

I stepped forward, my voice voice gentle. "We need your help, ma'am. Anything you can tell us about his recent activities, any leads or clues he may have mentioned before he left, it could be crucial in our search."