Chapter 69: Trial

The door to the room I'd been shoved into slammed shut and I was met with resounding silence.

Too much silence.

I could hear the rushing of my blood through my body. The sound of my heartbeat deafening my ears. My lungs aching from the retching I'd done as I was tossed in here.

Fear crept in like a silent predator. The day running through my head on repeat. I'd woken up, Sebastian had reminded me that I had just clocked over twelve weeks of pregnancy. We were in the second trimester. I went to work like normal, then I was fearing for my life, being thrown into a dodgy cell.

Now, here I was, in this eerie room with no windows or discernible features. Panic clawed at my mind, threatening to consume me. Taking a deep breath, I stood up and took a look around.

There was nothing but a small cot nestled in the corner and a small toilet.

Nothing else.

No windows.

No light.

Just me.

I was somewhat grateful I had Baby Sallow to keep me company. I crawled onto my incredibly cold and stiff bed, trying to find warmth within the thin blanket and placed a gentle hand over my tiny lump in my stomach that had began to form recently.

"I'm sorry, baby. I've failed you... I just hope they spare me long enough to have you... so your dad can look after you when I'm gone." I whispered, unsure if the thing could even hear me. But I didn't care. The baby needed to know it wasn't it's fault. It was innocent.

Time passed in agonising silence, the only sounds being the occasional clinking of footsteps in the corridor outside.

The next day, or what felt like the next day, I couldn't be sure, the heavy door creaked open, and a harsh light pierced the darkness. A tall figure loomed in the doorway. I couldn't make out their face, but their terrifying presence certainly filled the room.

"Get up," the figure commanded, their voice rough and lacking even the slightest hint of compassion.

I did what I was told and was hoisted by my arm as my wrists were bound in chains once more.

I was led to another room where I was met by two more figures, though these ones were women. The first lot of women I'd actually seen in this building.

I was passed over to them and the door shut behind me.

"Clothes." One commanded.

"What?" I asked, unsure how I was even meant to understand what they meant by that short sentence.

"Take them off. You need your prison garments."

Oh. Take me to dinner first...

When I cocked an inquisitive brow, the older looking woman rolled her eyes and just did the honours for me anyway, tearing away at my clothes from yesterday until I was stood bare in front of her.

"No corset?" She snickered, "No wonder you ended up a prisoner."

Well, that was due to Sebastian's chagrin, something about squashing the baby, but I didn't dare to bite back. Not now. Maybe the Olive from twelve weeks ago would have.

They slipped dull grey prison garb over me and I pulled it tight over my body, trying to ignore the discomfort as it scratched and itched against my skin. My thoughts were a whirlwind of fear as I glanced around the room. It seemed to be some sort of processing area, dimly lit and cold.

After a photo was taken of me with what I assume was my assigned prison number, I was led back to the desolate room I was left in before.

Quiet.