Chapter 71: Home

Sebastian

I was ushered into the court room alongside Ominis and Lawson, none of us daring to speak a word to each other. The room felt eerie. Speaking felt wrong.

It was silent. Too silent. I didn't like it but couldn't bring myself to do anything about it.

Then she entered. I tried to gain her attention, just to lock eyes with her for a moment, but she didn't look up. I didn't blame her. I couldn't begin to fathom what she was going through. Something that I probably should have had to do. Why did she have to do it when I got away with it?

She looked completely drained. Her prison wear looked uncomfortable. It wasn't fair. She deserved to be pampered and doted on, treated like the princess she is. Not stuck in a gloomy cell alone on a hard bed all day.

We were instructed to rise as the judge, Margaret, who we'd spoke to earlier, entered. And Olive's trial began.

Anthony was great. I'm so glad Ominis asked him to help. He'd collated everything and presented it well. We looked good.

The three of us who were there with Olive when it happened retold our version of events. They all lined up. I even managed to get through it without choking up like I thought I would. But Olive still wouldn't look at me.

And then they made the verdict.

I held my breath.

I could hear my thumping heart in my ears. It almost drowned out the voice that was about to tell me the fate of my wife.

And then I heard it. She wasn't sentenced to death.

I held out the air I didn't know I was holding in and Ominis put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it softly.

But,

She was being extradited. Back home. To Azkaban. For life.

I'd get our baby. But I couldn't be there for her. I couldn't feel the kicks. I couldn't see her stomach grow and swell, I couldn't support her during birth.

And then I'd be all alone. Me and Baby Sallow. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing with a baby. When we decided to have one, I'd envisioned Olive and I doing it together, learning and growing as parents. As a team. Just two people young and in love trying to work out how to look after the little person that is half of them both.

Fuck.

I tried to call out something. Anything to get her attention one last time. But she kept her head low. My voice wouldn't work. Anything I tried to say just came out as short gasps.

"Sebastian..." Ominis whispered.

He tried to place a hand on my leg but I flinched, pulling my leg away.

"Don't." I managed to choke out, tears threatening to spill over.

My leg was bouncing, itching to get up and leave. I could feel the threat of a panic attack looming over me, but I couldn't do it here. I couldn't make a scene.

End the fucking court!

"Court is adjourned."

Fucking finally!

I nearly barrelled Ominis over to leave, rushing out as fast as I could. And then it happened.

As soon as I stepped out into the hallway, my legs gave way, and I sank down the wall. It was as if a dam had burst within me, releasing a flood of overwhelming emotions that I'd been holding back. Panic gripped me like a vice, squeezing the air out of my lungs, and I felt as though I was drowning.