Chapter 63: The Task

I knew there was nothing we could do right now. I knew I needed to rest. But I spent most of my night staring at the ceiling, running scenarios through my head.

What if he's been kidnapped?

What if he's been tortured?

What if he's dead?

I jumped out of bed quickly when there was a knock at our front door in the wee hours of the morning.

"Sebastian!" I said with a loud whisper.

"Mm. I heard it, I'll get it. Stay here." He said.

He shrugged on a shirt and sleepily walked over to the door, trying to look and see who it was.

I know Sebastian told me to stay in the bedroom, but I couldn't.

What if he got kidnapped?

"Oh, fucks sake, Ominis. It's you. You scared me." Sebastian said, swinging the door open and letting him inside.

"Sorry. I got your owl. What's happened to Lawson?" Ominis asked, his voice quivering slightly.

"He's not with you?" I asked, emerging from the corner.

"No. I haven't seen him for a couple of days, after we spent the evening—uh, with me helping him study some books for work."

Well, lucky Ominis was blind because the look on Sebastian's face was priceless.

"Y-you help him... study?" Sebastian asked, trying to stay composed.

"Yes. And frankly I'm disgusted with the treatment he and Olive are getting." Ominis said with an upturned nose.

"Oh, that's no longer a problem." Sebastian said, "Now we have a much bigger problem."

Sebastian sat Ominis down on our lounge and began to explain the entire situation from my explosion at Harris to the ambush and Lawson's disappearance.

Ominis's face grew increasingly pale. His usually strong demeanour faded, replaced by a face of concern and fear. "So, you're telling me that Lawson is missing and you think your superior has taken him?"

Sebastian nodded. "Yes, that's the gist of it."

Ominis leaned forward, resting his face in his hands. "This is bad, really bad."

I furrowed my brows. I didn't know Ominis cared for Lawson so deeply. They'd only know each other a short time. But I did agree with him. It was bad.

"So, what do we do?" Ominis asked.

"Well, I was thinking we need to head to MACUSA as soon as we can and see if he's there or if anyone has seen him." Sebastian suggested, "I don't even know if they know about Dodds yet."

"Surely they will." I added. It was a murder after all.

Sebastian stood up. "Well, let's get ready. We'll head to work and find out what's going on."

Ominis sat in our lounge his leg bouncing and chewing nervously on his finger while Sebastian and I rushed around to get dressed and prepared to leave.

"Ready, mate?" Sebastian asked, his face dipping as he saw just how stressed out Ominis was about the whole situation.

Ominis sighed and accepted the hand Sebastian had stretched out for him to take, pulling himself off the lounge. "As I'll ever be."

"We'll find him. Don't worry." Sebastian said, pulling Ominis closer to him and giving him a reassuring pat on the back.