Chapter 16: I've Never*

warning: major spicy spicy content

"Where did you go with Sallow?" Garreth asked, he seemed less cheery than normal as he walked me towards Hogsmeade.

"We went to visit Anne."

"I see. Do you do that often?"

"Not really... I've visited a few times but it's not like I have a schedule or anything."

"Right. You didn't know Anne before coming here though, did you?"

"Garreth, what's with all the questions?"

"I'm sorry. I just find it strange that you spend so much time visiting Anne when you never really knew her." He seemed annoyed.

"I know her through Sebastian and he's been my friend longer than you, if you recall."

He hummed and I sensed that he was trying to say that he didn't believe me.

"Look, Garreth, I understand that you're curious, but you need to trust me," I said with a touch of frustration in my voice, "Anne is Sebastian's sister, and she's been through a lot. It's not about me knowing her for a long time or not. It's about being there for Sebastian when he needs me."

"You're right Olive, I'm sorry. I know we aren't really anything at all but something in me today just felt off when I saw you with him today. Please just tell me I have nothing to worry about and I swear I won't bring it up again."

My stomach suddenly felt like it had dropped right out of my ass and onto the floor below. Truthfully, Garreth did have something to worry about. And now he'd put me on the spot and it seemed like it was finally the moment to tell him the truth.

"You... you have nothing to worry about." I cringed as I spoke, my mouth talking before my brain could stop it.

"Alright, I won't ask again. I believe you. Forget I even said anything." Garreth said with a small smile.

He slipped his hand down mine and boldly took a grasp of my hand, lacing our fingers. His hands were large and they felt warm and course, calloused and tough.

I was certain he could feel my racing pulse through my fingertips as he gave me a soft, reassuring squeeze. I allowed him to hold my hand and didn't immediately flinch and reject the touch.

The rest of the walk, I was mostly silent, giving Garreth a few nods and some 'mmms' and 'ahhhs' to show I was somewhat paying attention... but truthfully my mind was focused on when I could get away from here to go back and see Sebastian and clarify what he meant when he said he was going to test out the wand.

I could tell Garreth had put in a lot of effort to make this something special. He's taken the liberty of reserving a mostly private table and had pre-bought enough butterbeers that I didn't need to pull out any galleons at all. And it tugged at my heart greatly knowing I had just thrown away the opportunity to come clean and had just completely lied to him. But I was redeveloping my old habits of not wanting to hurt anyone. I was struggling to keep up the 'don't give a fuck' attitude.

Garreth called it a night after two butterbeers and walked me back to the castle, his usually incessant chit chat notably less and I could tell he was just talking to fill the silence.

"Well, here's your stop," He said, standing in front of the Slytherin common room that had just appeared.

"Thank you, Garreth," I smiled softly. "That was nice."

"Have I done something to upset you?" He asked me genuinely.

"Oh, Merlin, no! I'm sorry, I've just been... going through a lot lately. My head's been an utter mess. I'm sorry I haven't been the friend you've wanted lately."