5.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 5

CONNIE

"He's going to be okay. He needs to rest for now" the doctor says, hearing that puts me at ease. I can breathe.

Brandon was born with a rare skin condition. He gets blisters which constantly get infected and that's how we are always in and out of the hospital. Any infections can be deadly if it gets into his blood stream.

"What happened to your car?" Dad asks walking in with two cups of coffee. I still don't know what happened back there, I'm a cautious driver. I don't know how I zoned out. I'm really grateful no one got hurt.

"I bumped into a taxi, no one got hurt though"

"A taxi? How did that happen?"

"I just...I zoned out" he looks at me for a brief moment before sitting down.

"Brandon will be okay. You don't have to stress about him this much" he says with a comforting rub on my arm.

"That's impossible, I cannot be okay while he's lying on that bed" it's unsettles me. My mom never got up, she died giving me hope that she's okay. I don't want that to happen to Brandon. I will be here. I will stress about him if I have to.

"I'm flying back to Cape Town tomorrow... will you be okay?" I nod, I don't want him to leave but he has businesses to attend to.

"We will be okay" I say with an assuring smile. He kisses the crown of my head and pulls me into an embrace.

We spend the night at the hospital. Morning comes and he leaves. I also have to go out looking for the taxi driver's number. I saw him talking to the petrol attendant yesterday, I'm sure he will help me.

I have to pay for the damages I did to his car. I was the one at fault.

"Aw ngamla!" the petrol guy says with a wide smile as I roll down my car window. These people are always in high spirits. I smile because I know what ngamla means, another addition to my Zulu vocabulary.

"Hey, I desperately need your help. I saw you talking to the taxi driver yesterday. Do you know where I can find him?"

"Oh, Yes"

I sigh in relief.

•••TBC