63.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 63

THE ZULU WEDDING

[NARRATIVE]

It's in the wee hours of the morning and they all have to wake up. Connie didn't sleep a blink. The nerves are growing by each second passing by "The Dlamini's will be here soon. We have to prepare" Aunt Bella says shifting the bed covers aside and rolling out of bed. They shared a bed and talked for hours last night. Her mom might not be here but Aunt Bella's presence is all she needed.

There are trucks arriving outside. They'll be transporting the furniture and everything they bought for uMabo "Aunty Please make sure nothing gets left behind"

"I'll have someone keep an eye on them as they load the things in the trucks, don't stress"

"Okay, Thank you" Aunty Bella stops and looks at her with a smile.

"Your mother would've been so proud of you" She smiles. She so wishes her mother was here. Every girl's dream is for their mother to see them get married but it's okay, she will carry her in her heart today.

Everyone in the house seems to be awake. She has to take a bath. The makeup artist is already here. Her phone has been buzzing with texts of good wishes on her big day. Celiwe and Nokwanda sent paragraphs. Those two have been her pillars. She has truly found friendship and sisterhood in them. She knows no matter what, they'll always pull up for her.

The gets in the bubble bath that was already prepared for her. The pampering squad is doing the things with no fail. She hasn't lifted a finger since she came here. She sure feels like a Queen.

She relaxes in the tub and smiles as the image of Jackson pops in her head. She can't wait to see him. She can't wait to be his wife officially. The white wedding will be for show off but the important day is today. She will sleep as Mrs Dlamini today.

Her phone buzzes bringing her out of her thoughts.

"I love you" she smiles at the text. Her heart picks on a different rhythm only seconding what she already knows.

"I love you endlessly" she sends the text and  steps out of the tub with a smile. She wraps a towel around her body and walks out of the bathroom. The makeup artist has already laid her tools on top of the bed. She's not a time waster.

*

"Dlamini, Jama KaSjadu, Sibalukhulu, Mdlovu, Magaduzela..." Mahlathini praises while kneeling emsamo and burning impepho. Everyone in the room is quietly watching him. He's letting the ancestors know they are about to go and fetch the bride. He's asking them to lead and light the way. For them to welcome Connie when she steps into the yard. He's thanking them for successfully watching over the family until this day.
"Magaga KaNsele, Ngonyama!" he finishes and stands up. He checks his wrist watch, time seems to be on the run.

They all exist the room to the noise outside. The singing, Whistles and ululations. The village young women and izinsizwa came out in numbers. The taxis are lined up at the gate to transport everyone. The cows are howling in the kraal as if they know they are about to be slaughtered. The sun is not up yet, Connie has to be here before it rises "Siyindlela Jama" one of the drives says. He nods.

*

She's standing in front of the mirror starring at herself. The only reason she's holding back the tears is because she doesn't want to mess up the makeup. The door opens and her Dad steps in and asks everyone to give him a moment with his daughter.

He takes her hand and they stand looking at each other "There's so much I want to say but I don't want to make you cry" Connie smiles and walks into his embrace. They hold each other for minutes. He's one proud father. It feels like yesterday when Connie was running around the house with her dolls. Where did time go? His little Princess is about to be someone's wife "I love you" he says kissing her forehead.